Princes Highway and President Avenue, Kirrawee
The NSW Government is funding this project as part of its $300 million Gateway to the South Pinch Point Program which aims to ease congestion and improve journey reliability on Sydney’s key southern corridors.
The Princes Highway is an important urban arterial road, and forms part of the A1 road corridor. The A1 connects the south coast of NSW and Wollongong to Sydney. It also provides access to major roads including the M5 Motorway, A3 King Georges Road, A36 Princes Highway (city) and M1 Pacific Highway.
There are currently high volumes of vehicles travelling in both directions on President Avenue and the Princes Highway. Due to these volumes, the intersection of the Princes Highway and President Avenue is experiencing congestion and delays. These delays are caused by turning vehicles blocking through traffic. This proposal aims to improve the flow of traffic and overall efficiency of the intersection.
Benefits would include:
- improved operation of Princes Highway along the corridor and at the intersection with President Avenue
- improved safety at the intersection, with a reduction in the number of rear-end crashes and crashes involving motorists changing lanes
- reduced traffic delays and a better flow of traffic for motorists at all points along the corridor.
The project includes:
- widening on the south-eastern side of the intersection and into the existing median on the eastern side of the intersection, to accommodate lengthened right and left turn lanes from President Avenue, onto Princes Highway. This would result in the removal of about six trees
- widening into the existing median on the southern side of the intersection to accommodate a lengthened right turn lane eastbound onto President Avenue
- widening into the existing median on the western side of the intersection to accommodate a dedicated left turn lane from President Avenue onto Princes Highway
- introducing a peak hour right turn ban from President Avenue into Princes Highway northbound between 3pm and 7pm, Monday to Friday
- modifying the median on the northern side of the intersection to improve safety for vehicles turning right from President Avenue northbound onto Princes Highway
- relocating the traffic control signals in the existing median on the western side of President Avenue
- installing new pavement, kerbs and signage
- relocating utilities
- asphalting and line markings.
Transport for NSW sought feedback from the community and stakeholders on intersection improvements at the Princes Highway and President Avenue, Kirrawee in May, June and July. View or download the community consultation report (PDF, 1.51Mb) summarising the feedback and responses, including a community notification (PDF, 2.34Mb) that was distributed to residents.
Transport for NSW sought feedback on proposed intersection improvements at Princes Highway and The Boulevarde, Kirrawee in May, June and July.
Community information sessions were held in three locations in the local area during consultation, providing one-on-one time with the project team.
An online tool was also available for the community to provide feedback on the projects via an interactive map.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- September 2017 community update
- May 2017 community update
Have your say on proposed intersection improvements on Princes Highway and clearways on Old Princes Highway, River Road and Bangor Bypass.
- August 2017 community consultation report
Proposed intersection improvements at the Princes Highway and President Avenue, Kirrawee.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 572 114 (during business hours)