Sydney Metro West
Sydney Metro West is an underground metro railway that will link the Parramatta and Sydney CBDs, and communities in between.
- Sydney Metro West doubles the capacity of the currently overcrowded T1 Western Line
- It establishes future capacity for Sydney’s fast growing west and the planned airport
- Passengers will enjoy faster travel times all the way from Penrith and Blacktown
About Sydney Metro West
Sydney Metro is the biggest urban rail project in Australian history, transforming how we get around the nation’s biggest city.
The Sydney Metro West project is Sydney’s next big railway infrastructure investment.
It will deliver a direct connection between the CBDs of Parramatta and Sydney, linking communities along the way that have not been previously serviced by rail and unlocking housing supply and employment growth between the two major CBDs.
New metro rail will become the fastest, easiest and most reliable journey between the Sydney and Parramatta CBDs.
This means Sydney Trains and inter-city services will be freed up for customers in the city’s outer west in areas like Blacktown, Penrith and the Blue Mountains. In turn, these services will become more reliable, with increased capacity, reduced crowding and faster travel times.
As a new railway, Sydney Metro West will work together with the existing T1 Western Line, effectively doubling rail capacity from Parramatta to the CBD and supporting the Greater Sydney Commission’s vision for better connections between these two major centres.
The NSW Government will integrate transport and land use planning along the corridor, with the project will be delivered as an underground metro railway line.
Community, stakeholder and industry consultation will now help shape Sydney Metro West’s development, including the alignment and potential station locations.
The final number of potential stations will be identified following community and industry consultation. Four key precincts to be serviced have initially been identified at:
- Parramatta, where the number of jobs is expected to double over the next 20 years to 100,000
- Sydney Olympic Park, where 34,000 jobs and more than 23,000 residents will be located by 2030
- The Bays Precinct, Sydney’s new innovation hub where 95 hectares of land is being regenerated
- The Sydney CBD, allowing easy access to the existing public transport network and Stages 1 and 2 of Sydney Metro, which is currently under construction.
Find out more on the Sydney Metro West website.
- Phone: 1800 612 173 Sydney Metro West community information line
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: Sydney Metro West, PO Box K659 Haymarket NSW 1240