Driverless vehicle projects
On this page
NSW Smart Shuttle
Through the Smart Innovation Centre, the NSW Government is working with industry and research partners to trial a highly automated passenger shuttle at Sydney Olympic Park.
Who are the partners in the trial
In addition to Transport for NSW and RMS there are a number of industry partners. HMI Technologies, Telstra, NRMA Motoring and Services, Sydney Olympic Park Authority and General insurer IAG will be collaborating as partners in the two year trial.
What are the stages of the trial
- Stage 1 (Q3 2017) of the trial will involve testing in an enclosed off-road environment at Newington Armory, adjacent to Sydney Olympic Park.
- Stage 2 (Q4 2017) progresses to initial operation at a closed section of Sydney Olympic Park.
- Stage 3 (Q1 2018) will see the shuttle operating live at Sydney Olympic Park. This will test things like infrastructure, how customers will interact with the vehicle and provide an opportunity for general public to experience the automated vehicle.
What will we learn from the trial at Sydney Olympic Park
- The Sydney Olympic Park trial will be the first precinct-based trial of an automated shuttle in Australia.
- The trial will focus on observing how automated vehicle technology can improve the mobility of customers and interact with other people within the precinct.
- To enable this trial we will work with our partners to understand what supporting technology and infrastructure is needed to operate an automated shuttle in this environment, how it interacts with other precinct users (pedestrians, cyclists etc.) and how it integrates with the broader transport network. We will also better understand passengers’ responses to this type of vehicle and the services it can enable, like on-demand transport in off-peak times.
- What we learn will be a direct input into our future transport planning and investment decisions to continue providing the best outcomes for transport customers across NSW. It will also help industry develop technology, products and services to deliver improved mobility for customers.
The Smart Innovation Centre, enablers of this trial, will be providing updates through this website about how people can go for a ride on the shuttle.
Feedback about the trial can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Smart Innovation Centre is NSW’s hub for collaborative research and development of safe and efficient emerging transport technology.
How to apply to the Smart Innovation Centre to conduct a trial of highly and fully automated vehicles in NSW.
Smart Innovation Centre photos and videos.