Metro on track as $1.376 billion contract awarded
The NSW Government today awarded a $1.376 billion contract to help deliver the new world-class Sydney Metro, expanding the city’s new metro railway into the CBD and beyond to Bankstown.
Transport and Infrastructure Minister Andrew Constance today welcomed this major investment.
“We’re currently digging twin new metro tunnels between Chatswood and Sydenham - this is the contract that will turn these tunnels into a working railway,” Mr Constance said.
“This major investment extends metro rail from Sydney’s booming north west, delivering a new 66 kilometre railway for Sydney in 2024.”
The $1.376 line-wide contract was awarded to Systems Connect (as an unincorporated Joint Venture between CPB Contractors and UGL) and includes:
- 31 kilometres of underground railway track to be laid in the twin railway tunnels from Chatswood to Sydenham;
- 31 kilometres of overhead power equipment and 11 new substations to power the metro from Chatswood to Bankstown;
- Installation of over 350km of high voltage, low voltage and tunnel service cabling
- Connecting the railway tracks from the end of Sydney Metro at Chatswood to the new tracks into the city;
- The expansion of the Sydney Metro Trains Facility at Rouse Hill to accommodate 37 new trains for Sydney Metro City & Southwest;
- The construction of the Sydney Metro Trains Facility - South at Marrickville;
- Installation of tunnel equipment such as ventilation, drainage and emergency evacuation and monitoring equipment as well as the fit out of the tunnel ventilation and high voltage equipment in the seven new underground stations.
“As part of our plan to improve transport, new metro rail will help give people more choice on how they get around Sydney,” Mr Constance said.
Due to the massive scale of the Sydney Metro City & Southwest project, the final contract value may vary due to ongoing fine-tuning and optimisation involving the 14 other major contracts.
This is the seventh Sydney Metro City & Southwest contract to be awarded.
The Sydney Metro City & Southwest project budget range has been set at $11.5 billion to $12.5 billion.
The final project budget will be confirmed once all major contracts are awarded, following the same process used for the $8.3 billion Sydney Metro Northwest.
To download vision, click here.