NSW Trains and the environment
Throughout the world rail transport is recognised as an environmentally friendly form of transport.
Why is rail travel combined with other forms of public transport a better choice for the environment?
Did you know that when our fleet is operated at capacity, it is one of the most energy efficient modes of transport.
A train filled with passengers causes far less air pollution, accidents, infrastructure deterioration and congestion then if those passengers used their private vehicles.
Not only does the environment benefit when you choose NSW TrainLink, but so do you the traveller.
NSW TrainLink provides:
- a relaxing and more social form of transport connecting Sydney with Melbourne, Canberra, Brisbane and regional NSW
- relief from rising fuel costs
- accessibility of holiday destinations, remote locations and events and social activities across NSW
- a decrease in road congestion and traffic noise.
NSW TrainLink recognises its own responsibility to protect the environment and to operate in a sustainable manner. We are continually striving to improve our own environmental performance in areas such as:
- air quality
- energy management
- noise and vibration
- water usage
- waste management.
How you can help
When you choose to travel by rail rather than by car, you are instantly making a personal contribution to minimise the impact on our environment. Every contribution counts, no matter how small.
Other ways you can help:
- Encourage others to travel by train.
- Combine other forms of public transport to minimise the carbon footprint of your journey.
- You may even like to hire a push bike to get around at your destination.
- Consider using eco friendly accommodation and tour providers at your destinations.
- Respect our wildlife, coastline and countryside.
- Look after historic and cultural sites.
- Avoid, reduce, re-use and recycle.
- Conserve water and energy.
- Take only photos and leave only footprints.