Converting an interstate or New Zealand bus driver authority (or equivalent) to NSW

If you hold a current bus driver authority from another Australian state or from New Zealand, you can apply for Mutual Recognition.

If you meet certain conditions, Transport for NSW (TfNSW) will accept your bus driver authority (or equivalent) from another Australian state or New Zealand under an arrangement called Mutual Recognition.  

This means TfNSW need you to:

  • undertake any further bus driver training
  • hold your unrestricted driver’s licence for a longer period.


To convert to a NSW Bus Driver Authority you must:

  • hold a current full (unrestricted) driver’s licence issued in Australia
  • hold a current bus driver authority (or equivalent) issued in either Australia or New Zealand.

Complete the Application for an authority to drive a bus

What you need

TfNSW requires information to thoroughly assess your application when you apply to be issued with a Bus Driver Authority in NSW. If TfNSW has to obtain this information after you submit your application, it can slow down the processing of your application.

To ensure your application is processed without delay, it is recommended to take the steps below before you apply online:

  1. Get a police check – Apply on the NSW Police Community Portal. Your Police check cannot be older than three months. Your Police check must include all current and former names.

    If you are unable to arrange a National Police Check (NPC), TfNSW can send you a one-time link that is valid for 7 days to apply for your NPC online, when you submit your application. This will enable TfNSW to complete the NPC on your behalf. 

    Please Note: This option will delay the processing of your application.

  2. Visit your doctor for a medical assessment – Make an appointment with your doctor for a commercial medical assessment. Take the medical form (PDF, 410.99 KB) with you for the doctor to complete.
  3. Get a digital copy of your current NSW drivers licence.
  4. Get a digital copy of your current interstate or New Zealand Bus Driver Authority (or equivalent). You can scan or take a photo of it using your phone.
  5. Complete the Mutual Recognition Statutory Declaration (PDF, 365.99 KB).

New Zealand bus drivers must also provide:

  • Certificate of Particulars
  • Criminal offence history
  • Traffic offence history

A Certificate of Particulars and criminal offence history can be obtained from the New Zealand Ministry of Justice by emailing:

If you don’t have a current interstate or New Zealand licence but have held one in the last 5 years, you need to provide a driving record (which includes all your traffic offence history from the past 5 years) from the relevant authority:

How long does the application take?

The online application process takes about 30 minutes, and you cannot save your progress.

Do not click on the back button, refresh the web page or close the window when you confirm your payment details. If you do, you will go back to the start of the application and need to resubmit.

The Bus Driver Authority costs $70. This is a non-refundable fee and can be paid by credit (Mastercard or Visa only), debit card, or Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).

If payment is made by EFT you will be given 5 working days to make the payment. If your payment is not received within this period, your application will not proceed and you will be required to lodge a new application including all supporting documentation.

Once TfNSW for NSW receives your application, they will respond within 10 working days.

If you have not had a response after 10 working days, please phone 02 8848 8700 or email:

Related transactions

Frequently asked questions 

Can I start my application and finish on another day?

No. You cannot start and go back to finish your application on another day.

What do I need to apply online for a Bus Driver Authority?

You need to have a valid email address to submit an online application.

You must provide all your supporting documents. This includes a digital copy of your drivers licence.

What happens if don't attach all mandatory documents?

You will not be able to submit an application online without attaching all mandatory documents.

What if i don't have all my supporting documents?

You should not submit your application at this time as it will delay the processing of your application. Your application will not be assessed without all of the supporting documentation.

What will happen if my supporting documents are not in the correct format?

The best format for your documents is PDF. If your supporting documentation is not in the correct format you should not submit your application as this will increase processing times.

What do I have to submit a digital photo?

If you do not hold a valid NSW driver licence you will need to provide a digital photo for your Bus Driver Authority card.

Where can I get a digital photograph taken?

A digital photograph can be obtained from any Australia Post or camera retailer that provides this service.

What are the requirements of the digital photograph?

  • Your digital photograph should be a recent, clear photo of your head and neck on a pale background without a hat or sunglasses.
  • The resolution of the photo should be width 246 pixels and height 246 pixels.
  • Photos should be uploaded in any of the following formats: JPG/JPEG/PNG/BMP/GIF.
  • Selfies or photographs that have been cropped will not meet the requirements above.
  • You will not be able to submit an application online if you do not provide a photograph that meets these requirements.

What computer browsers do i need to allow the online application to work?

You will need one of the following browsers for the online application to work;

  • Chrome (version 66 or above
  • Safari (version 12.1.4 or above)
  • Firefox (version 66 or above)
  • Microsoft Edge (version 100)

Does my application expire?

Your bus driver application expires after 6 months. This starts from the time you apply to the time you are approved to become a bus driver.

Do I have to complete the training before i apply for a Bus Driver Authority?

No. You don’t. However your bus driver authority can’t be approved until you have completed the training. Please note your application expires after 6 months and you will need to submit a new application.

When will I recieve my Bus Driver Authority?

Your Bus Driver Authority will be posted within 10 working days, provided your application meets all mandatory requirements. Where TfNSW is requested to apply for a National Criminal History check on your behalf this will delay the processing of your application.

What if I dont have an email address?

This is a requirement of your application. You can create an account online (e.g. - Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook or Yahoo).

If I enter my details in lower case will they appear on my Bus Driver Authority in that way?

No it does not matter how you enter the information.

If I have held a drivers licence in another state or New Zealand, do I need to provide any more identification?

Yes. You need to provide secondary identification to prove who you are. Take a look at the Secondary ID List for more assistance.

If i have held a driver in another state and cannot remember the date, will this affect my application?

No. If you are unsure of the exact date you can apply for a copy of your traffic record and licence details at any Service NSW Service Centre or you can apply online. The information will be contained on the licence details provided.

If my driver licence has been suspended, cancelled, disqualified or refused and I cannot remember the details what do I do?

You can apply for a copy of your traffic record and licence details at any Service NSW Service Centre or you can apply online. This will be a complete history of your traffic record and driver licence details.

Do I recieve a payment receipt when paying by Credit/Debit Card

A copy of your payment receipt will be emailed immediately after your payment has been processed successfully.

Do I recieve a payment receipt when payment is made by Electronic funds transfer?

You will receive a copy of your payment receipt with your Bus Driver Authority card. If your application is refused, you will receive a copy of your receipt with the refusal letter.

What if my Credit/Debit Card is declined?

After submitting valid Credit / Debit card details, if your Credit / Debit Card is declined for any reason (e.g insufficient funds), you will be given an opportunity to pay by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).

Am I able to pay for my application with multiple credit/debit cards?

No. When making payment for your application you will only be able to use 1 credit/debit card to make the payment.

Cleared funds

When paying for your Bus Driver online application by EFT there will be a period of time where the funds are required to clear through your bank. TfNSW is unable to process your application until the bank clears your funds. If paying your application by Credit/Debit Card, these funds are immediately available to TfNSW, enabling your application to be assessed without any delay.

When do I get this option?

You will immediately receive a notification to submit the payment by EFT after the failed attempt by Credit / Debit Card. If you do not make payment within the five (5) working days, your application will not proceed and you will be required to lodge a new application, including all supporting documentation.

Where is the reference number?

This is the number that will be displayed on the payment message page and or in the payment confirmation email body.