Renew or replace a Bus Driver Authority
You must renew your driver authority before it expires. We’ll send you a notification prior to the renewal date.
- To submit your application, visit the Application for Bus Driver Authority Renewal page.
- Answer pre-screening questions.
- Answer all questions that apply to you.
- Click on the ADD+ button to enter more information.
- Upload your supporting documentation (in PDF format) and photos (JPG/JPEG/PNG/BMP/GIF).
- Pay the non-refundable application fee by MasterCard or Visa only, payment is required at time of submitting your application.
Your application cannot be saved to continue at a later date.
You must have a valid email address. If you do not have a valid email address, create one before commencing the application.
Have your supporting documentation and photos saved in the correct format.
If your application is submitted successfully, you will receive an email and a PDF copy of your submitted application.
If you do not receive the email or PDF after 30 minutes, contact Accreditation at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting your application reference number or call 02 8848 8700
DO NOT click the back button or close the window once you reach the confirm payment details page. Clicking back directs you back to the start of the application where you will be required to start again. This is a data protection measure.
What you will need
- A copy of your current Australian Driver Licence (scanned as a PDF).
- If you hold an interstate driver licence, a copy of a Proof of identity document from Proving your identity - List 2.
- A non-refundable application fee of $70 to be paid by:
- Credit/Debit card – MasterCard or Visa only
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).
- Payment by EFT must be made within 5 working days. If your payment is not received within this period, you must lodge a new application.
- A valid email address
If you don't hold a valid NSW driver licence and you have not submitted a previous application online, you will need to upload a digital photo. The photo must be:
- a recent and clear photo
- contain only your head and neck
- be on a pale background
- no hat or sunglasses
- 246 pixel width and 246 pixel height resolution
Medical assessments and late renewals
Applicants who require a medical assessment to renew a driver authority will be notified by letter. Drivers over the age of 60 and drivers with specific medical conditions such as diabetes, cardiac or neurological conditions must undergo annual health assessments to renew the authority
Driver authorities must be renewed within six months of the expiry date. If your driver authority has been expired for more than six months, you will have to apply for a new bus driver authority.
Replacing your bus driver authority
If your bus driver authority card is lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed or you have changed your name, you can apply for a replacement.
You will also need to apply for a replacement if you have moved interstate or have moved from interstate to NSW.
To apply for a replacement, you’ll need to provide:
- Proof of your identity.
- If you are applying for a replacement due to a change of name you must also provide supporting documentation listed on changing your name or address.
There is no fee for replacing your bus driver authority.
To submit your application for a replacement driver authority, visit the Application for Replacement Bus Driver Authority page.
Frequently asked questions
Can I start my application and finish on another day?
No. You cannot start and go back to finish your application on another day.
What do I need to apply online for a replacement Bus Driver Authority?
- You need to have a valid email address to submit an online application.
- You must provide all your supporting documents.
What happens if I don't attach all mandatory documentation?
You will not be able to submit an application online without attaching all mandatory documents.
What happens if I don't have all of my supporting documentation?
You should not submit your application at this time as it will delay the processing of your application. Your application will not be assessed without all of the supporting documentation.
What will happen if my supporting documents are not in the correct format?
If your supporting documentation is not in the correct format you should not submit your application as we will need to request the documents again, leading to longer processing times.
Why do I have to submit a digital photo?
If you do not hold a valid NSW driver licence you will need to provide a digital photo for your Bus Driver Authority card. Having a photo on your card ensures we can identify that the correct, authorised person is in possession of the Bus Driver Authority.
Where can I get a digital photograph taken?
A digital photograph can be obtained from any Australia Post or camera retailer that provides this service.
What are the requirements of the digital photograph?
- Your digital photograph should be a recent, clear photo of your head and neck on a pale background without a hat or sunglasses
- The resolution of the photo should be width 246 pixels and height 246 pixels.
- Photos should be uploaded in any of the following formats: JPG/JPEG/PNG/BMP/GIF
- Selfies or photographs that have been cropped will not meet the requirements above.
- You will not be able to submit an application online if you do not provide a photograph that meets these requirements.
What if I don't have an email address?
This is a requirement of your application. You can create an account online (e.g. - Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook or Yahoo).
What is the reference number?
This is the number that will be displayed on the confirmation email.