Airport East Precinct - Sydney Airport
Transport for NSW is upgrading roads east of Sydney Airport and removing the General Holmes Drive rail level crossing by constructing a road underpass. This will improve the movement of rail freight facilities to and from Port Botany, and improve traffic flow and access to the airport and Port Botany.
Sep 2019 - Botany Road onto Mill Pond Drive
From Monday 30 September motorists will no longer be able to turn right form Botany Road onto Mill Pond Drive.
Motorists can use the Wentworth Avenue underpass to access General Holmes Drive.
For more information about this traffic change you can view or download our September 2019 community update (PDF, 286Kb).
In line with the project's Review of Environmental Factors, we will carry out work at night throughout major construction on this project. Night work is necessary on this project due to the traffic conditions in the area, and the limitations of working next to the Sydney Airport East West runway. Night work will be carried out from 9pm until 5am, excluding Saturdays, weather permitting.
A weekly schedule of upcoming work, including night work, will be available online and emailed to the project stakeholder list. If you would like to receive the weekly schedule, please email the project team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members of the project team will continue to talk to residents and businesses in the area about the project in the coming weeks. If you would like more information about the upcoming work program, contact the project team.
Monthly construction schedule
Want to know what work is planned this month? Check out our monthly schedules:
Key features and benefits of the project are:
- Replacing the General Holmes Drive rail level crossing with a road underpass that links General Holmes Drive, Botany Road and Wentworth Avenue to improve the movement of rail freight and improve access to the Airport, Mascot and the eastern suburbs
- Improving the Mill Pond Road intersections with General Holmes Drive and Botany Road to support future growth and access to the Airport
- Widening Joyce Drive and General Holmes Drive between O'Riordan Street and Mill Pond Road to three lanes in each direction to improve traffic flow around the Airport and to Port Botany
- Creating a new shared path to link to the existing cycle way on Wentworth Avenue to improve connections for pedestrians and cyclists, at Todd Reserve on Wentworth Avenue
- Retaining the northbound bus stop on Botany Road close to the existing location to meet community needs.
Review of Environmental Factors
In early 2015 we prepared a Review of Environmental Factors to identify, assess, reduce and manage the potential impacts of the project.
View or download a copy of the Review of Environmental Factors.
The Review of Environmental Factors for this proposal was displayed for community comment in February and March 2015.
We received feedback from 11 people and organisations. We would like to thank everyone who took the time to consider our proposal and provide feedback.
Following a review of the comments, we prepared a Submissions Report and obtained planning approval for the project.
Further developing the detailed design of the project has created some new and modified project features. We have now prepared an addendum to the REF, to assess these features. View or download a copy of the addendum to the REF.
View or download the Airport East project map.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- June 2019 community update
Airport East Precinct.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1300 862 844