Lower Hunter Freight Corridor
Transport for NSW is consulting on a recommended corridor option for the Lower Hunter Freight Corridor which will provide for a future dedicated freight rail line between Fassifern and Hexham, bypassing Newcastle urban area. Separating rail freight from the passenger rail line is a NSW Government initiative to reduce network congestion on the rail network across Newcastle, and improve travel times and reliability for both rail freight and passenger rail services.
When built the Lower Hunter Freight Corridor would:
- Separate rail freight and passenger rail services between the congested Fassifern and Hexham sections
- Support growing demand as freight and passenger rail services in Northern Sydney, Newcastle, and the Sydney-Newcastle corridor continue to grow.
- Remove most rail freight from Newcastle’s urban area
- Reduce network congestion and improve travel times and reliability for both rail freight and passenger rail services
- Support economic growth across the Lower Hunter region.
- Relieve congestion and journey delays to road and active transport users around level crossings at St James Road, Adamstown and Clyde Street, Islington
- Relieve pressure on regional roads and highways by moving more freight via a dedicate freight rail corridor
- Reduce the number of heavy vehicles on the roads
- Enable freight to move efficiently and safely.
- Lower Hunter Freight Corridor Brochure (PDF, 9.74 MB)
- Draft Strategic Environmental Assessment for Lower Hunter Freight Corridor (PDF, 39.03 MB)
- Lower Hunter Freight Corridor Postcard (PDF, 3.82 MB)
- Lower Hunter Freight Corridor Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 67.49 KB)
- Property Impact Maps for Lower Hunter Freight Corridor (PDF, 11 MB)
- Media Release - 12 July 2021 (PDF, 220.62 KB)
Frequently Asked Questions
- About the Lower Hunter Freight Corridor (PDF, 110.95 KB)
- Corridor Preservation (PDF, 75.17 KB)
- FAQ responses to questions from Community Information Session 17 August 2021 (PDF, 159.86 KB)
- FAQ responses to questions from Community Information Session 28 July 2021 (PDF, 174.22 KB)
Community consultation is now closed for the lower hunter freight corridor. This consultation was held from 12 July 2021 to 27 September 2021.
Transport for New South Wales would like to thank everyone who provided their feedback. TfNSW are currently collating the community submissions, once completed a Consultation Outcomes report will be available on our website.
Transport for NSW have worked together with Biraban, Mindaribba and Awabakal Local Aboriginal Land Councils, the Saretta Art & Design Project Team with Professor John Maynard and Pambalong knowledge keepers to develop an interactive Story Map outlining the Aboriginal Cultural Values within the Lower Hunter Freight Corridor footprint on country that travels across the lands of the Awabakal and Wonnarua people.
Transport for NSW hosted an online celebration on Tuesday 12 October 2021, together with Saretta Fielding and John Maynard to celebrate the work that has been completed as part of this cultural study.
Keep in touch
If you would like to receive further information or project updates, please register to join our distribution list by calling 1800 837 511 or emailing email@example.com