The NSW Government is upgrading the McKanes Bridge over Coxs River on McKanes Falls Road at South Bowenfels. The work includes replacement of the existing bridge with a safer, stronger and more reliable bridge which still has the appearance and heritage aspects of the original.
Nov 2022 - Bridge reopened
McKanes Bridge reopened to traffic on 30 November 2022.
McKanes Bridge was built in 1893 and is one of only four remaining McDonald timber truss bridges in NSW. Its restoration will ensure one of the oldest examples of a McDonald timber truss bridge in NSW is conserved.
The NSW Government has provided $10 million for the project to ensure the state heritage-listed timber truss bridge continues to serve the community while reducing maintenance needs in the future.
The upgrade includes replacing old timber elements with new timber and new heritage sympathetic materials to strengthen the bridge, while still retaining the appearance and design of the original bridge.
The first stage of work started on May 11, 2020 and the second stage of the work started on January 18, 2021.
The project is expected to be completed in March 2023, weather permitting.
- Upgrade the existing bridge to allow safe use by vehicles up to general mass limit (GML) standard.
- Replace the existing timber side rails with a steel traffic barrier over the full length of the bridge.
- Restore the condition of the major structural bridge elements to original condition (by replacement or repair).
- Preserve the heritage form of the bridge (truss type)
- The upgrade design is to have as minimal a negative impact to heritage value as possible, while still achieving the above proposal objectives.
- Minimise operating costs of the bridge as far as possible while still achieving the proposal objectives.
- Upgrading the structural capacity of the bridge
- Retaining the original McDonald timber truss design
- Upgrading critical structural elements of the bridge with superior and more durable elements
- Upgrading the existing bridge to allow safe use by vehicles up to general mass limit (GML) standard.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- April 2023 project notification (PDF, 314.47 KB)
McKanes Bridge at South Bowenfels closed to traffic on Wednesday 19 April
- September 2022 project notification
Work continues on McKanes Bridge to reopen to traffic in November.
- November 2021 project notification
Extended work hours at McKanes Bridge at South Bowenfels from Saturday 21 November 2021.
Community Consultation Reports
Review of Environmental Factors
- March 2021
Batman swoops in to protect flying friends through bridge upgrade.
- January 2021
Detour allows for upgrade of McKanes Bridge.
- 12 May 2020
Restoration starts on 127-year-old McKanes Bridge.
- 22 April 2020
McKanes Bridge upgrade moving ahead.