Transport for NSW completed works to enable the reinstatement of train services at Millthorpe Station in March 2019.
Millthorpe Station was successfully reinstated as an on-demand service stop on 15 March 2019. A community celebration was held to commemorate the recommencement of services coinciding with the arrival of the first train.
The reinstatement was enabled by the construction of a new platform extension, providing a safe and accessible boarding point to trains. The final design, which underwent consultation with the local community, ensured the extension maintained the heritage look and feel of the station as much as possible whilst being structurally sound and safe for customers. Operational works were also required to enable service reinstatement.
Transport for NSW would like to thank the community for their enthusiasm and patience throughout the design and delivery phases of this project, which now ensures Millthorpe is even more connected to the wider NSW Trains network.
Transport for NSW visited Millthorpe on 25 July 2018 to provide an update on the project to the community, and conduct a workshop about the design and associated elements.
We thank the community members who took the time to attend the community workshop and to those who provided feedback.
Key themes that emerged during the workshop included:
- ticketing availability
- connectivity with other transport modes
- heritage considerations
- maintenance and safety
- additional scope including car park, crane and toilet.
Initial consultation was undertaken in late 2017. Themes which arose in during this period include:
- General support for the project for personal reasons and to boost tourism in Millthorpe.
- Facility queries including accessible toilets, accessible parking spaces, taxi zone.
- Request for additional services (this feedback will be sent to XPT).
- Queries regarding interface with existing heritage building (which is leased out and to be operating as a cafe/chocolatier) .
- Suggestions to offer ticketing facilities within the village.