Parramatta Road improvement work Taverners Hill
Transport for NSW has completed work to improve traffic flow and travel on Parramatta Road between Sloane Street, Haberfield and Flood Street, Leichhardt.
Mar 2019 - Works completed
In March 2019 Transport for NSW completed work to add a third eastbound lane on Parramatta Road between Sloane Street, Haberfield and Flood Street, Leichhardt.
Transport for NSW thanks the community and motorists for their patience while work was carried out on this essential upgrade.
To learn more about this project, view our interactive portal for more information.
Transport for NSW investigated options to improve traffic flow and travel time reliability along Parramatta Road between Sloane Street, Haberfield and Flood Street, Leichhardt. This 400 metre section of Parramatta Road was previously a five lane divided arterial road.
The improvement involved the reallocation of existing road space on Parramatta Road to provide an additional eastbound traffic lane and an extended dedicated right turn lane from Parramatta Road in to West Street, Petersham. Following the improvement, this section of Parramatta Road now has capacity for six lanes, three eastbound and three westbound.
The completed work included:
- a reconfigured eastbound merge lane to include a third eastbound lane from Sloane Street, Haberfield to Flood Street, Leichhardt
- extension of the right turn lane by around 30 metres from Parramatta Road into West Street, Petersham
- reconstruction of the centre median
- new overhead directional signage
- new line marking and asphalting.
This improvement has:
- helped ease existing congestion and improve traffic flow
- provided better network integration between Parramatta Road and the New M4 project
- increased capacity of Parramatta Road to six lanes, with three eastbound and three westbound
- reduced vehicles queuing to turn right into West Street, Petersham blocking the through lanes on Parramatta Road
- improved travel time reliability
We appreciate your patience while we delivered this important project.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- March 2019 project update
Parramatta Road improvement work, Taverners Hill project complete.
- December 2018 project update
Parramatta Road improvement work, Taverners Hill start of work from Friday 4 January 2019.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 951 212
Mail: Network Integration Team, Roads and Maritime Services, Network Integration, Locked Bag 928, North Sydney NSW 2060.