Princes Highway and Box Road, Sylvania
Transport for NSW’s Gateway to the South Pinch Points Program aims to ease congestion and improve journey reliability on Sydney’s key southern road and bus corridors. The program is linked to the NSW Government’s roadmap to deliver the state’s future transport network, the Future Transport Strategy 2056. This acknowledges the vital role transport plays in the land use, tourism and economic development of towns and cities.
Sep 2022 - Intersection upgrade complete
The project is now complete and we would like to thank the community for their patience.
View or download the September 2022 community update notification (PDF, 381 Kb).
Transport has widened Box Road to provide turning lanes for improved access onto the Princes Highway, including a signalised pedestrian crossing across Box Road (east).
The intersection improvements will reduce delays for bus customers and motorists, while improving safety and pedestrian access.
The intersection is serviced mainly by bus route 970 and also some local bus services.
To reduce delays and improve bus travel time reliability through the intersection, we are widening Box Road to the east and west of the intersection with the Princes Highway.
This will allow for new dedicated turn lanes to be provided, which will increase the capacity and efficiency of the intersection.
The project features:
- A dedicated right turn, through and left turn lanes on the eastern approach to Box Road
- A dedicated right turn bay on the western side of Box Road
- Extend existing ‘no stopping’ zone on Box Road
- Removal of two street trees
- New signalised pedestrian crossing and relocating existing pedestrian crossings
- Modification to service road access
- Removal of speed camera and installation of CCTV.
- Reduced congestion and more reliable travel times for buses and general traffic, particularly during peak periods.
- Improved intersection capacity and efficiency with new right turn lanes on both sides of Box Road onto the highway and a new left turn lane on Box Road (east) onto the highway.
- Improved travel time reliability for buses that travel through the intersection from Box Road (east) onto and off the highway.
- Improved safety of the intersection for pedestrians, including a new signalised pedestrian crossing on Box Road (east) as well as improved access across the service road.
Between March and April 2021, we completed:
- utility and service relocations
- traffic signal and stormwater drain works
- widening of Box Road
- footpath, kerb and gutter work
Between end of May and end of July 2022, we completed:
- asphalting and road markings
- opened the new turning lanes on Box Road
- tidied up the site and removed our temporary site sheds.
On 9 March 2020, following consultation with Sutherland Shire Council, Transport informed the community and key stakeholders about the proposed changes and asked for feedback by 6 April 2020. Feedback was invited by telephone, email or post.
Transport would like to thank everyone who provided feedback. After carefully considering it, we intend to proceed with the intersection improvements presented in March 2020, with some changes to the original proposal.
Changes to the original proposal, which follow discussion with Sutherland Shire Council are detailed in the Close of Engagement Report (PDF, 2.28Mb).
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- September 2022 community update
Completion of the upgrade of the intersection of Princes Highway and Box Road, Sylvania.
- May 2022 community update
Continuing work to upgrade of the intersection of Princes Highway and Box Road, Sylvania.
- April 2022 community update
Upgrade nearing completion at the intersection of Box Road and Princes Highway, Sylvania.
- November 2021 community update
Continuing work on the upgrade of the intersection at Box Road and Princes Highway, Sylvania.
- April 2021 community update
Work starting on the upgrade of intersection at Box Road and Princes Highway, Sylvania.
- July 2020 community update
Intersection improvement update.
- March 2020 community update
Have your say.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: Our delivery partner, Ward Civil, 1800 897 841
Mail: Princes & Box Project Team, PO Box 973, Parramatta NSW 2124.