The NSW Government is replacing the ageing NSW regional rail fleet of XPT, XPLORER and Endeavour trains, which includes trains that are up to 36 years old.
A new train maintenance facility will be built in Dubbo to stimulate the regional economy and help create sustainable job opportunities and skills.
The new trains will improve safety, comfort, accessibility and reliability for customers who travel from Sydney to many regional centres in NSW, as well as Canberra, Melbourne and Brisbane.
- More comfortable and functional design including reversible seating, spacious buffet cars and overhead luggage storage
- Accessible toilets on every train, wider doors, single-deck carriages, priority seating and accessible help points
- Automatic selective door opening for stations with short platforms and modern CCTV equipment
- Electronic device charging points, tray tables suitable for laptops and spacious seat pockets.
The NSW Government has awarded the contract to deliver the Regional Rail Fleet Project to Momentum Trains.
Momentum Trains is an international consortium comprising CAF, UGL Rail Services, Pacific Partnerships, CAF Investment Projects and DIF Infrastructure V Coöperatief.
The contract includes project financing, designing, building and maintaining the new regional rail fleet as well as designing, building, maintaining and operating the new purpose-built fleet maintenance facility in Dubbo.
NSW TrainLink will continue to operate regional rail and coach services.
Momentum Trains will start work on detailed designs for the Dubbo Maintenance Facility and the new fleet in 2019. The first new trains are expected to be running by 2023, with the full fleet coming into service progressively.
Artist’s impressions of the new trains
Please note the following video and images are representative of the preliminary design and may be subject to change during detailed design activities.
Frequently asked questions
Download the latest frequently asked questions for this project:
- Community notification – Dubbo Maintenance Facility approval – November 2018 (PDF, 659.75 KB)
- Community notification - Contract award - February 2019 (PDF, 83.71 KB)
- Dubbo Maintenance Facility Determination Report (PDF, 2.11 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors (PDF, 8.4 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors Overview (PDF, 4.27 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix C – Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Heritage Assessment (PDF, 20.37 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix D – Traffic and Transport Assessment Report (PDF, 6.99 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix E – Visual Impact Assessment (PDF, 10.63 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix F – Noise and Vibration Assessment (PDF, 40.9 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix G – Ecological Assessment (PDF, 29.23 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix H – Preliminary Site Investigation (PDF, 44.45 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix I – Air Quality Impact Assessment (PDF, 5.99 MB)
For more information, or to sign up to our Fleet newsletter, please call 1800 684 490, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.