The NSW Government is replacing the ageing NSW regional rail fleet, including 60 XPTs and more than 50 XPLORER and Endeavour passenger cars.
The new trains will improve safety, comfort and reliability for customers who travel from Sydney to many regional centres in NSW, as well as Canberra, Melbourne and Brisbane.
The first new trains are expected to be running by the early 2020s, with the full fleet coming into service progressively.
- A safer, more reliable, comfortable and accessible service for customers travelling long distances.
- A boost to regional jobs with the construction of a new, purpose-built train maintenance facility at Dubbo.
We are currently assessing proposals from shortlisted applicants to finance, build and maintain the new regional rail fleet, and to build a new maintenance facility in Dubbo.
The shortlisted applicants are Regional Futures and Momentum Trains.
After considering the assessment in the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) and submissions from the community and stakeholders, Transport for NSW has approved the proposal for the Dubbo Maintenance Facility.
We received 15 submissions in response to the public display of the REF. The Dubbo Maintenance Facility Determination Report (PDF, 2.11 MB) summarises the submissions and our response to them.
We are committed to minimising the impacts to the community during the construction of the facility and providing employment and business opportunities for the Dubbo community.
Jobs, skills and industry participation
For the project, Transport for NSW has developed a regional Jobs, Skills and Industry Participation Strategy to maximise opportunities for communities and businesses in regional NSW.
By locating the maintenance facility in Dubbo, our goal is to create sustainable employment, skills development and business opportunities in the area and to address issues such as youth and long-term unemployment.
We will work with other relevant organisations and government agencies to coordinate workforce planning and to address regional skills shortages.
Transport for NSW is committed to supporting Aboriginal participation in the project, including employment, apprenticeships and opportunities for Aboriginal businesses. This will be achieved through contractual requirements and support programs.
Transport for NSW expects to award the contract in early 2019.
Detailed design and construction of the Dubbo Maintenance Facility are expected to start in early 2019.
- Dubbo Maintenance Facility Determination Report (PDF, 2.11 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors (PDF, 8.4 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors Overview (PDF, 4.27 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix C – Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Heritage Assessment (PDF, 20.37 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix D – Traffic and Transport Assessment Report (PDF, 6.99 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix E – Visual Impact Assessment (PDF, 10.63 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix F – Noise and Vibration Assessment (PDF, 40.9 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix G – Ecological Assessment (PDF, 29.23 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix H – Preliminary Site Investigation (PDF, 44.45 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix I – Air Quality Impact Assessment (PDF, 5.99 MB)
Download the latest fact sheets for this project:
- Dubbo Maintenance Facility Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 55.22 KB)
- Regional Rail – Project Overview (PDF, 142.4 KB)
- Regional Rail – Fleet Overview (PDF, 140.28 KB)
- Regional Rail – Maintenance Facility (PDF, 70.84 KB)
- Regional Rail – Jobs, Skills and Industry Participation (PDF, 111.31 KB)
Fleet project updates
To sign up to receive our Fleet newsletter, or for any other questions, please contact us at email@example.com or 1800 684 490.