We are replacing the ageing NSW regional rail fleet of XPT, XPLORER and Endeavour trains.
The new trains will provide improved safety, accessibility, facilities and reliability for customers who travel from many NSW regional centres to Sydney, as well as Canberra, Melbourne and Brisbane.
- Comfortable directional seating with aeroplane-style overhead luggage storage and seat pockets
- Charging ports for mobile devices and tray tables suitable for laptops
- Improved accessibility including accessible toilets on every train, wider doors, single-deck carriages, priority seating and accessible help points
- Improved customer information through digital information screens and announcements, and CCTV throughout the train
- Modern buffet car in the long and short regional trains
- Automatic selective door operation for stations with short platforms
- Bi-mode technology, providing a more environmentally-friendly rail service. For more information about bi-mode technology, please read the fact sheet (PDF, 313.1 KB).
The new regional fleet consists of 29 new trains, including 117 new carriages forming 10 regional intercity, 9 short regional and 10 long regional trains.
As part of the Regional Rail Project, a new purpose-built maintenance centre, named Mindyarra is being built in Dubbo to support the new fleet, stimulate the regional economy and help create sustainable job opportunities and skills. Learn more about Mindyarra Maintenance Centre.
Please see our Regional Rail Project brochure (PDF, 4.24 MB)
Jobs, skills and industry participation
A key objective of the Regional Rail Project is to provide opportunities for people and businesses in regional NSW. The Jobs Skills and Industry Participation (JSIP) team, focuses on three key priority areas. Learn more about JSIP.
A contract was awarded in February 2019 to Momentum Trains (an international consortium comprising CAF, UGL, Pacific Partnerships, CPB Contractors, CAF Investment Projects and DIF Infrastructure V Coöperatief) to deliver the Regional Rail Project.
The contract includes the design, build, and maintenance of the new regional rail fleet and the design, build, maintenance and operation of the new purpose-built Mindyarra Maintenance Centre in Dubbo.
Design of the 29-train fleet and construction of the maintenance centre is underway.
The first new trains are expected to be running from 2023, with the full fleet coming into service progressively.
NSW TrainLink will operate the new regional rail fleet.
For more information check out Regional Rail - fleet FAQs (PDF, 478.13 KB)
Artist’s impressions of the new trains
Please note the following video and images are representative of the preliminary design and may be subject to change during detailed design activities.
For more information, please call 1800 684 490, or email email@example.com.
For urgent enquires or complaints regarding construction activities, please call our 24-hour line on 1800 775 465
Businesses and suppliers interested in procurement opportunities available on the Regional Rail Project, please visit ICN to view project-related work packages or to submit an expression of interest.