The NSW Government is replacing the entire NSW regional rail fleet, including 60 XPTs and more than 50 XPLORER and Endeavour passenger cars.
The new trains will improve safety, comfort and reliability for passengers who travel from Sydney to many regional centres in NSW, as well as Canberra, Melbourne and Brisbane. The first new trains are expected to be running by the early 2020s, with the full fleet coming into service progressively.
- The delivery of safe, reliable, comfortable and accessible regional trains.
- A better, more reliable service for customers travelling long distances.
- A boost to regional jobs with the maintenance of these new trains in regional NSW.
In August 2017, the NSW Government announced it would replace the entire NSW regional rail fleet, including 60 XPTs and more than 50 XPLORER and Endeavour passenger cars.
Replacing the regional rail fleet includes the design, build, financing and maintenance of a new train fleet and a new maintenance facility to be designed and constructed in regional NSW.
Following extensive industry engagement, market sounding workshops and an Expression of Interest process, three applicants were shortlisted to participate in the tender process. A Request for Proposal process started 15 December 2017 with the three shortlisted applicants.
In May 2018 one applicant, the Bombardier Consortium, withdrew from the process. The other two applicants, Momentum Trains led by CAF and Regional Futures led by Downer, remain in the competitive procurement process.
The contract is expected to be awarded in early 2019 with the first trains to be delivered in the early 2020s.
Transport for NSW considered a number of locations in regional NSW to build the maintenance facility. Each location was assessed against key criteria before Dubbo was selected as the preferred location, subject to planning approval.
Locating the train maintenance facility in regional NSW will stimulate the regional economy and provide long-term, sustainable jobs including traineeships and apprenticeships.
Jobs, Skills and Industry Participation
For the project, Transport for NSW is developing a regional Jobs, Skills and Industry Participation Plan to ensure opportunities for people and businesses in regional NSW are maximised.
Our goal is to create sustainable employment, skills development and business opportunities in regional NSW and to address issues such as youth and long-term unemployment.
Transport for NSW is collaborating with other projects, and government agencies responsible for jobs and skills funding and programs, to ensure coordinated workforce planning and to address regional skills shortages.
Transport for NSW also has a commitment to increasing Aboriginal participation, including employment, apprenticeships and opportunities for Aboriginal businesses. This will be achieved through contractual requirements and support programs.
The community was invited to provide feedback on the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) from Wednesday 8 August 2018 to Tuesday 28 August 2018. All feedback received will be responded to in a Submissions Report which is currently being prepared by Transport for NSW.
There was an additional opportunity for all Aboriginal communities who wanted to engage with the project team (including the Aboriginal Participation Manager) at the NSW Aboriginal Rugby League Knockout. The team were at Caltex Park, Dubbo on Friday 28 September and Saturday 29 September.
- Review of Environmental Factors (PDF, 8.4 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors Overview (PDF, 4.27 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix C – Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Heritage Assessment (PDF, 20.37 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix D – Traffic and Transport Assessment Report (PDF, 6.99 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix E – Visual Impact Assessment (PDF, 10.63 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix F – Noise and Vibration Assessment (PDF, 40.9 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix G – Ecological Assessment (PDF, 29.23 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix H – Preliminary Site Investigation (PDF, 44.45 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix I – Air Quality Impact Assessment (PDF, 5.99 MB)
Feedback received in response to the REF will be considered in a submissions report prepared by Transport for NSW .We will let the community know as soon as the report is available to view.
Construction on the facility would only start once all approvals have been finalised and Transport for NSW has made a determination.
Download the latest fact sheets for this project:
- Regional Rail – Project Overview (PDF, 130.22 KB)
- Regional Rail – Fleet Overview (PDF, 183.81 KB)
- Regional Rail – Maintenance Facility (PDF, 90.59 KB)
- Regional Rail – Jobs, Skills and Industry Participation (PDF, 190.03 KB)
Regional Fleet project updates
To stay up to date with the latest project activity, or for any other questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1800 684 490.