The NSW Government is replacing the ageing NSW regional rail fleet of XPT, XPLORER and Endeavour trains, which includes trains that are up to 37 years old.
A new train maintenance facility will be built in Dubbo to stimulate the regional economy and help create sustainable job opportunities and skills.
The new trains will improve safety, accessibility, amenities and reliability for customers who travel from Sydney to many regional centres in NSW, as well as Canberra, Melbourne and Brisbane.
- Reversible seating, spacious buffet cars and overhead luggage storage
- Accessible toilets on every train, wider doors, single-deck carriages, priority seating and accessible help points
- Automatic selective door opening for stations with short platforms and modern CCTV equipment
- Electronic device charging points, tray tables suitable for laptops and spacious seat pockets.
- Operation in bi-mode configuration, providing a more environmentally-friendly rail service. For more information about bi-mode technology, please read the fact sheet (PDF, 190.44 KB).
The NSW Government awarded the contract to deliver the Regional Rail Fleet Project to Momentum Trains in February 2019.
Momentum Trains is an international consortium comprising CAF, UGL Rail Services, Pacific Partnerships, CAF Investment Projects and DIF Infrastructure V Coöperatief.
The contract includes project financing, designing, building, and maintaining the new regional rail fleet as well as designing, building, maintaining and operating the new purpose-built fleet maintenance facility in Dubbo.
Improvements have been made to the initial maintenance facility concept design displayed in the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) in 2018. Design changes are expected on a project of this size and the changes remain consistent with the approved REF.
Similar to bi-mode technology on the new fleet, the design of the maintenance facility will utilise sustainable operational solutions such as solar power and non-potable water.
At least 95 per cent of low voltage energy demand required to power the maintenance facility will be supplied from on-site solar technology.
This marks the start of several design phases the maintenance facility will undergo. Preliminary and detailed design phases are expected to progress throughout the coming months, in parallel with early construction work.
Planning and design work has also commenced for the new fleet of 29 new trains, including 117 new carriages forming 10 regional intercity, 9 short regional and 10 long regional trains.
The first new trains are expected to be running from 2023, with the full fleet coming into service progressively.
NSW TrainLink will continue to operate regional rail and coach services.
For more information about bi-mode technology, please read the fact sheet (PDF, 190.44 KB).
Artist’s impressions of the new trains
Please note the following video and images are representative of the preliminary design and may be subject to change during detailed design activities.
Frequently asked questions
Download the latest frequently asked questions for this project:
- Community notification - Dubbo - February 2020 (PDF, 1.13 MB)
- Community notification - Dubbo - November 2019 - January 2020 (PDF, 325.01 KB)
- Community notification - Site investigations (Dubbo) - September-October 2019 (PDF, 259.61 KB)
- Community notification - Site investigations (Dubbo) - June-August 2019 (PDF, 516.91 KB)
- Community notification - Contract award - February 2019 (PDF, 83.71 KB)
- Community notification – Dubbo Maintenance Facility approval - November 2018 (PDF, 659.75 KB)
- Dubbo Maintenance Facility Determination Report (PDF, 2.11 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors (PDF, 8.4 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors Overview (PDF, 4.27 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix C – Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Heritage Assessment (PDF, 20.37 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix D – Traffic and Transport Assessment Report (PDF, 6.99 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix E – Visual Impact Assessment (PDF, 10.63 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix F – Noise and Vibration Assessment (PDF, 40.9 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix G – Ecological Assessment (PDF, 29.23 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix H – Preliminary Site Investigation (PDF, 44.45 MB)
- Review of Environmental Factors - Appendix I – Air Quality Impact Assessment (PDF, 5.99 MB)
For more information, or to sign up to our Fleet newsletter, please call 1800 684 490, or email email@example.com.
Businesses and suppliers interested in procurement opportunities available on the Regional Rail Fleet Project, please visit ICN to view project-related work packages or to submit an expression of interest.