Taronga Zoo Wharf Upgrade
The NSW Government is upgrading Taronga Zoo Wharf as part of the Transport Access Program.
March 2023 - Planning approval received. Construction to begin.
The Taronga Zoo Wharf Upgrade received planning approval in late 2021. Throughout 2022, the project team have carried out work to the detailed design. Some elements of the approved design remain subject to further investigations and development. In an effort to minimise the impact to customers of Taronga Zoo Wharf, Transport for NSW (Transport) will be proceeding with a range of accessibility upgrades.
View the March notification (PDF, 2.25 MB) for more information.
Oct 2021 - Investigation work
The NSW Government is upgrading Taronga Zoo Wharf as part of the Transport Access Program – an initiative to deliver modern, safe and accessible transport infrastructure across the state.
Transport for NSW will carry out investigation work to help inform the detailed design for the Taronga Zoo Wharf Upgrade.
View the October notification (PDF, 970Kb) for more information.
The new Taronga Zoo Wharf
Key features of the upgraded wharf include:
- a new covered accessway ramp leading from the street level wharf entrance to the gangway entrances
- realigned kerb, fence, footpath and bus stop bay to meet the new ramp
- new wayfinding signage
- a new covered waiting area
- repairs to the existing jetty.
Plan of Taronga Zoo Wharf Upgrade
Transport will start upgrading Taronga Zoo Wharf from Tuesday 21 March 2023.
Potential construction impacts
The following construction activities will take place:
- site establishment including installing fencing and a compound/shed
- the footpath between the bus stop and wharf entrance will be extended
- a new covered accessible ramp leading from the street level wharf entrance to the gangway entrances. The ramp would be held in place by nine new piles (four waterside and five land side)
- removal of the existing ferry deflection barriers on the western side of the wharf to allow space for construction activities. These barriers will be replaced with two protection piles
- changes to steel fencing on the pontoon to cater for changes in customer flows
- upgrade of safety and security features including lighting, closed circuit television (CCTV) security cameras and tactile ground surface indicators, if required.
Access to parking along Athol Wharf Road will be maintained at all times. There will be no road closures during construction. Pedestrians and motorists will need to follow instructions of on-site traffic controllers while work is underway.
Access to the western side of the wharf will be closed during construction. This will allow for the new ramp to be built. The timetable for ferry services to Taronga Zoo Wharf on the F2 route will remain unchanged. There will be some impacts to private vessel operators during this time however we will work with these operators to minimise impacts.
Some of our work may be noisy at times however we will do everything we can to minimise the impact such as staging the work to provide periods of respite and providing notice.
Wharf operation during construction
Taronga Zoo Wharf will remain open during construction with ferry services continuing as normal.
Work hours and potential noise impacts
Our standard work hours will be between 7am and 6pm Monday to Friday 8am and 1pm on Saturday. No work is planned on Sundays or public holidays.
There may be some work that needs to happen outside of these hours such as installing the piles and lifting sections of the wharf into place. This work will need to take place when conditions are usually most calm in the early morning or at night.
The work is expected to be completed in six months, weather and maritime conditions permitting.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- March 2023 Community Update (PDF, 2.25 MB)
Planning approval received. Construction to begin.
- October 2021 project Notification
Investigation work from Saturday 16 October 2021.
- March 2021 community update
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 770 973 (during business hours)