Thirroul safety and traffic improvements
Transport for NSW has made safety and traffic improvements to Lawrence Hargrave Drive at Thirroul. These changes will achieve positive outcomes for the community by increasing safety, easing traffic congestion, and improving traffic flow.
- installed right turn bays into High Street and Wrexham Road, formalising existing informal arrangements and allowing through traffic to flow with improved safety and efficiency
- relocated two southbound parking spaces to the northbound side of Lawrence Hargrave Drive, increasing on-street parking in the area
- pavement was resheeted between Lachlan Street and Hewitts Avenue
- road resurfacing work from Bulli Pass to Phillip Street
- relocated the southbound bus stop near High Street about 50 metres north to facilitate the changes detailed above.
Transport for NSW identified the need to make improvements to Lawrence Hargrave Drive at Thirroul to improve safety, ease traffic congestion, and improve traffic flow.
Traffic improvement proposals were developed following feedback from businesses, community members and key stakeholders during community consultation in late 2019, June/July 2021 and June 2023.
- June 2023 Consultation Summary & FAQs (PDF, 510.87 KB)
Consultation Summary and FAQs
- June 2023 Community notification (PDF, 243 KB)
Pavement repair and resurfacing work on Lawrence Hargrave Drive.
- June 2023 – Have your say (PDF, 851.17 KB)
Have your say.
- May 2023 resident notification (PDF, 378.29 KB)
Road surface and traffic improvements on Lawrence Hargrave Drive at Thirroul.
- December 2021 project update (PDF, 510 KB)
- July 2021 Have your say (PDF, 560 KB)
- October 2019 fact sheet (PDF, 656 KB)
Bulli and Thirroul Improvements.
2023 Community consultation
Consultation was carried out on the proposed safety and traffic improvements on Lawrence Hargrave Drive. This included:
- installing right turn bays into High Street and Wrexham Road, formalising existing informal arrangements and allowing through traffic to flow with improved safety and efficiency
- relocating two southbound parking spaces to the northbound side of Lawrence Hargrave Drive, increasing on-street parking in the area
- relocating the southbound bus stop near High Street about 50 metres north to facilitate the changes detailed above.
Feedback was open from Friday 2 June until Wednesday 14 June 2023. We received and reviewed a total of 188 feedback responses with the majority of responses being in support of each of the improvements. 39 responses related to work that is not within the scope of the project, however this feedback will be retained for consideration for any relevant future work.
After considering the feedback received, work will proceed on the safety and traffic improvements on Lawrence Hargrave Drive at Thirroul. These changes will achieve positive outcomes for the community by increasing safety, easing traffic congestion and improving traffic flow.
We thank everyone who took time to provide feedback on these traffic improvements.
2021 Community consultation
Transport for NSW developed options in response to community feedback in 2019 to improve traffic efficiency and reliability of the Princes Highway at Bulli and Lawrence Hargrave Drive at Thirroul.
In June and July 2021, we asked for feedback on the proposed options. A large amount of feedback was received during the eight weeks of public consultation. We received 821 submissions on the Bulli proposal and 903 submissions on the Thirroul proposals.
We engaged an external consultant, as an independent third party, to review and analyse the submissions and prepare reports.
We thank everyone who took the time to provide feedback about their experiences travelling in and around Bulli and Thirroul town centres. The feedback provided will help us consider how best to proceed.
View the Feedback Summary Report (PDF, 10.4 MB) here.
2019 Community consultation
In October 2019, we engaged with stakeholders, road users and the community to gain an understanding of peoples’ experiences living and travelling in and around Bulli and Thirroul town centres, their concerns about the existing road corridor and ideas about future transport needs.
The investigation aimed to identify constraints and issues including on-street parking, traffic queuing and delays in peak periods. The investigation and feedback from the community will help Transport identify options to reduce travel times, improve road safety and maintain the look and feel of both town centres.
We had a strong response, receiving a total of 2,539 comments on the interactive map, made by 735 community members, and 50 email responses. Following analysis, 3627 individual issues were identified across all the feedback received.
View the Feedback Summary Report (PDF, 851.17 KB).
Subscribe to stay up to date
Privacy Statement: Transport for NSW is committed to protecting your personal information. We will not publish or disclose your personal information to any third parties unless you consent or as authorised by law. Aggregated or depersonalised information which does not identify you, such as summary tables, may be published or disclosed to third parties. Providing personal information is voluntary, however we rely on your participation to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information obtained and we may not be able to communicate with you directly if you do not provide your personal information.
Your information will be managed by Transport for NSW in accordance with the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 and the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002. For further information, please see our Privacy Management Plan or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to access, correct or remove the personal information collected by us you can email email@example.com.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Mail: Bulli and Thirroul Improvements, PO Box 477 Wollongong NSW 2540