Transport Connected Bus Program
The Transport Connected Bus (TCB) Program is delivering state-of-the-art vehicle tracking and automatic passenger counting technology across contracted buses in rural and regional NSW.
This technology provides customers with real-time trip information and TfNSW and bus operators with access to more accurate data and tools to improve services and keep buses running on time.
The TCB Program is being rolled out across regional NSW in phases.
Phase 1 of the program went live in July 2020, delivering real-time information for around 300 connected buses across more than 430 regular and school services in Bega, Dubbo and Coffs Harbour.
Phase 2 of the program went live in September 2022, delivering real-time information for an additional 1300 connected buses across 1500 regular and school services in 14 regional areas.
Customers in Albury, Armidale, Bathurst, Forbes, Greater Nowra, Grafton, Griffith, Orange, Parkes, Port Macquarie, Queanbeyan, Tamworth, Tweed Heads, and Wagga Wagga are now able to plan bus trips and make better informed decisions using digital timetable information and real-time updates.
Since the inception of the program, more than one million regional customer trips have been tracked, including 555,000 regular route services and 445,000 school bus services.
The new technology:
- provides regional bus customers the information they need to make more informed travel choices. Customers can use websites and apps to plan their journeys with up-to-date service information and real-time indication of bus capacity
- enables regional bus operators with tools to connect with customers, manage operations and keep services running on time; and
- give TfNSW the reporting and analytics capability enabling data to support key business activities.
Customers travelling in regional NSW will for the first time be able to view reliable timetable information and real-time trip updates using the Transport for NSW Trip Planner tool at www.transportnsw.info and other third-party public transport apps.
Parents will have better visibility and be able to track location of their child’s school bus, arrival time at the child’s destination and an indication of bus capacity.
Customers will also be able to access the data to:
- view interactive maps for each route, the full timetable and service updates at transportnsw.info
- view real-time updates on bus location and predicted arrival time at a stop
- view how full the next bus service is.
Phase 3 of the TCB Program commenced in April 2023, with 1800 more buses in regional NSW set to be fitted with the smart technology.
This will mean the entire fleet of Transport’s contracted buses will be tracked, enabling passengers to access data in real time, at the tap of an app, to help them plan their journeys.
In partnership with regional NSW bus operators, the installation of the vehicle tracking and automatic passenger counting technology was completed in October 2023 for Region 1 of Phase 3 - the Hunter and Lower North Coast.
The TCB team worked closely with operators to capture, schedule and structure bus service data including timetable, route, and stop information in the lead up to customer launches. More information can be found at transportnsw.info/real-time-bus
The team are now in the process of rolling-out the technology for Region 2 of Phase 3 – The North Coast, with installations expected to be complete by May 2024.
Regional bus operators across a further six regions are on track to receive the new technology for their buses by the end of June 2025. The six regions are:
- Southern Tablelands and Ulladulla
- South East and Tablelands
- Central West and Orana
- Far West
- New England and North West
- Riverina Murray
TCB in the media
- Get on board Orange's expanded bus network
- Million journey milestone for tracking technology on regional buses
- Albury commuters get on board with real time tracking | Transport for NSW
- Tamworth's buses get on board with real-time tracking | Transport for NSW
- Greater Nowra buses get on board with real-time tracking | Transport for NSW
- Real-time trip updates and digital timetables for Armidale, Bathurst and Port Macquarie
- Real-time bus tracking coming to Grafton
- Queanbeyan and Wagga Wagga receive real-time bus trip information
- Coffs Harbour gets on board with real-time tracking
- Digital timetables and real-time bus information comes to Bega, Dubbo and Coffs Harbour
- Real time tracking on 1800 more regional buses