Transport Connected Bus Program
The Transport Connected Bus (TCB) Program is delivering the technology platform for the tracking and automatic passenger counting of TfNSW contracted buses in regional NSW, enabling customers to be informed with trip information in real-time and services to be assessed through reporting and analytics.
The Transport Connected Bus (TCB) Program will deliver state-of-the-art vehicle tracking and automatic passenger counting technology across the regional NSW bus network to:
- give regional bus customers the information they need to make more informed travel choices
- provide regional bus operators and TfNSW with the right information and tools to improve regional bus services.
Once installed, the technology will capture and share real-time information about the bus including its location, estimated departure time at a stop and an indication of how full the service is.
Customers travelling in regional NSW will for the first time be able to view reliable timetable information and real-time trip updates using the Transport for NSW Trip Planner tool at www.transportnsw.info and other transport apps, providing them with more informed choices regarding how and when they travel.
Parents will have better visibility of where their child’s school bus is.
Transport planners and regional bus operators will also benefit with access to more accurate data and tools to improve services and keep buses running on time.
The TCB technology will be rolling out across Regional NSW in phases.
Phase 1 of the TCB program is currently underway and due to Go Live on July 14th 2020. Phase 1 will deliver:
Connected vehicle technology on around 300 buses providing regular and school services across Bega, Dubbo and Coffs Harbour, including:
- vehicle tracking
- automatic passenger counting; and
- service analytics and reporting.
Access to data to enable customers in Coffs Harbour, Bega and Dubbo to:
- plan their trip more accurately using the Trip Planner tool accessed via the www.transportnsw.info website, the Opal Travel app and other third party transport apps;
- view interactive maps for each route, the full timetable and service updates at transportnsw.info;
- view how full the next bus service is;
- ask Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa to ‘Talk to Transport for NSW’ to access real-time updates;
- send a travel query to the Facebook Messenger bot; and
- use third party travel apps to track their bus or their child’s school bus on a map and view the expected arrival time at a stop.
The installation of the connected bus technology has now been completed across the three phase 1 sites - Bega, Dubbo and Coffs Harbour in partnership with regional NSW bus operators and the final testing is underway.
The technology is expected to be fully operational across the three Phase 1 areas from July 14th 2020.
TCB in the Media
Still have questions?
Feel free to contact the TCB program team at TCB.email@example.com