Tumut to Hume Highway Corridor Strategy
The Tumut to Hume Highway Corridor aims to improve road safety, freight access, and reliability and connectivity for local communities.
- Increase safety and travel efficiency for all road users moving through the region
- Improve liveability with a reliable road connection between rural communities
- Support economic growth through improved freight access for key regional industries
The Tumut to Hume Highway Strategy deals with Gocup Road and the Snowy Mountains Highway, which connect Tumut to the Hume Highway.
The strategy aims to improve access, in particular for High Productivity Vehicles (HPV) that are currently unable to use Gocup Road, limiting regional industry freight movements. The timber industry requires haulage routes from the forests to timber mills, connected industries and on to the ports of Sydney and Melbourne. Similarly, the corridor is an important route to market for agricultural businesses in the region.
Local community, commuter and tourist use of the corridor has also been considered. We have identified where road corridor planning should integrate with other transport types, including school buses, public bus capacity and efficient links with interstate rail.
Our activities over the next 20 years will ensure that we sustainably manage and develop the Tumut to Hume Highway Corridor. We will take active steps to conserve areas with a high environmental value and minimise any impacts from the corridor.
The Final Tumut to Hume Highway Corridor Strategy July 2016 (PDF, 2.65 MB) was developed under the Road Network and Corridor Planning program by Transport for NSW (TfNSW) and Roads and Maritime (RM).
Feedback from community members and stakeholders was used to positively improve the strategy before it was finalised.
For more information, visit the Roads and Maritime Tumut to Hume Highway Corridor Strategy page.
The Tumut to Hume Highway Corridor Strategy was finalised in July 2016.
The strategy includes investment priorities that aim to improve safety, create a reliable and efficient transport experience, support industry-based heavy vehicle needs and work harmoniously with local community activity.
Safety on the Tumut to Hume Highway Corridor
- Address safety in areas increasingly prone to crashes on both the Snowy Mountains Highway and Gocup Road.
- Make safety improvements on the Snowy Mountains Highway.
- Reduce driver fatigue by adding heavy vehicle rest areas.
Efficiency on the Tumut to Hume Highway Corridor
- Investigate opportunities to realign the road in future.
- Undertake work to widen and strengthen the road, improve safety, straighten curves, and provide overtaking lanes on Gocup Road. This will be funded under the $70 million program of works from the NSW Government Regional Freight Pinch Point and Safety Program under Restart NSW.
- Also widen and strengthen roads, straighten curves and provide overtaking lanes on the Snowy Mountains Highway.
Integrating the Tumut to Hume Highway Corridor with local activity
- Improve pedestrian and cyclist access for local communities.
- Investigate opportunities to improve capacity on NSW TrainLink buses.