Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade
The NSW Government is upgrading Henry Lawson Drive to reduce congestion and improve safety and connectivity.
The upgrade is being carried out in stages to focus on key areas of congestion and to minimise impact to motorists and the community along the corridor.
The Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Program includes the Georges Hall Upgrade between Beale Street and Rabaul Road, Georges Hall, Stage 1A between Tower Road, Bankstown Aerodrome and Auld Avenue, Milperra, and Stage 1B between Auld Avenue and the M5 Motorway, Milperra.
Sep 2022 - Continuing work on Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade, Georges Hall
From Thursday 1 September until Wednesday 30 November 2022, we will continue work on stormwater pipes installation south of Rabaul Road, pedestrian footpath between Rabaul Road and Haig Avenuefinal asphalt works, signs and road markings and removal of the site offices in Kentucky Reserve.
More information is in the September 2022 community notification (PDF, 263 Kb).
In February 2020, Transport for NSW called for public comment on Stage 1A of a plan to upgrade the 7.5 kilometre length of Henry Lawson Drive between the M5 South Western Motorway, Milperra, and Hume Highway, Lansdowne.
There were almost 80 submissions from the public and their comments, along with Transport for NSW responses, were published in the July 2020 consultation report.
The upgrade would help ensure the road corridor can meet growing demand, with residential, commercial and industrial development expected to increase in the coming years. It would also improve efficiency along the corridor and safety for motorists and pedestrians.
The upgrade would be carried out in stages to minimise impact to road users and the community.
- The upgrade on Henry Lawson Drive at Georges Hall between Beale Street and just south of Rabaul Road is in construction and expected to be completed in late 2022.
- Stage 1A upgrade between Auld Avenue and just north of Tower Road would provide more capacity for vehicles travelling through the intersection of Henry Lawson Drive, Milperra Road and Newbridge Road. The project is expected to start construction in early 2023.
- Stage 1B upgrade between Auld Avenue and the M5 Motorway would widen the corridor to four lanes with upgrades to intersections and improved active transport connections. The project is in the early investigation/ project concept stage.
Henry Lawson Drive (HLD), Georges Hall between Beale Street and just south of Rabaul Road
The upgrade features:
- an additional southbound lane between Beale St and Rabaul Rd
- a new pedestrian footpath on the eastern side between Rabaul Rd and Haig Ave
- permanent ban on the right turn from HLD onto Rabaul Rd.
Henry Lawson Drive (HLD) Upgrade Stage 1A
The upgrade features:
- provide two lanes in each direction on HLD between Auld Ave and Tower Rd
- upgrade the intersection of HLD, Milperra Rd and Newbridge Rd to provide:
- an additional southbound lane
- longer dual right turns for motorists turning right from Milperra Rd into HLD
- an upgraded left turn for motorists turning left from Newbridge Rd into HLD
- longer dual right turn lanes for motorists turning right from HLD into Newbridge Rd
- upgrade the intersection of HLD and Tower Rd to include a dual right turn from HLD onto Tower Rd.
Henry Lawson Drive (HLD) Upgrade Stage 1B
The early concept design features:
- road widening to two lanes (one lane currently) in each direction
- upgrade of two intersections which currently have traffic lights
- Bullecourt Ave at HLD
- Pozieres Ave at HLD
- link road between Auld Ave and Keys Pde
- link road between Raleigh Rd and Keys Pde with an associated permanent closure of Raleigh Rd at HLD
- installation of central road median along the corridor
- improvements to footpath and shared path connectivity
- change of road access to left-in/ left-out only on HLD at:
- Auld Ave – detour via Keys Pde and link road to Auld Ave
- Ruthven Ave - detour via Raleigh Rd and Keys Pde
- Whittle Ave/ Ingram Ave - detour via Bullecourt Ave which currently has traffic lights and will be upgraded
- Amiens Ave – detour via Raleigh Rd and Keys Pde (right in) and via Pozieres Ave (right out)
- Ganmain Cres - detour via Raleigh Rd and Keys Pde (right in) and via Pozieres Ave (right out)
- Fromelles Ave - detour via Bullecourt Ave which currently has traffic lights and will be upgraded
- Hermies Ave - detour via Bullecourt Ave which currently has traffic lights and will be upgraded.
- Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade – Georges Hall
The project in construction stage is expected to be finished in late 2022, weather and worksite conditions permitting.
- Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Stage 1A
The construction on the project is expected to start in early 2023.
- Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Stage 1B
Investigation is continuing until October 2022. We plan to consult with the community on the project’s early concept design before the end of 2022.
- September 2022 community notification
Continuing work on Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade in Georges Hall.
- July 2022 HLDU 1A community notification
Results of the community consultation on Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Stage 1A.
July 2022 HLDU 1B community notification
Continuing early investigation on Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Stage 1B.
May 2022 HLDU 1B community notification
Start of early investigation on Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Stage 1B.
August 2021 Have your say notification
Henry Lawson Drive upgrade Stage 1A environmental assessments on public display.
July 2020 Consultation report
Henry Lawson Drive upgrade - Stage 1A.
February 2020 Have your say notification
Early concept design for Stage 1A of the proposed Henry Lawson Drive upgrade.
- Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Stage 1A submissions report
July 2021 Environmental Impact Statement (PDF, 8.22 MB)
Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Stage 1A - Part 4 Environmental impact statement.
July 2021 Review of Environmental Factors
Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Stage 1A.
- 25 February 2022
Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Powers Into Next Stage.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 684 490