Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Stage 1A
The NSW Government is planning to upgrade Henry Lawson Drive to reduce congestion and improve safety and connectivity.
The upgrade would be carried out in stages to minimise impact to road users, with Stage 1A spanning from Auld Avenue to just north of Tower Road.
Stage 1A would provide more capacity for vehicles travelling through the intersection of Henry Lawson Drive, Milperra Road and Newbridge Road. It would improve efficiency along the corridor and safety for motorists and pedestrians.
Jul 2022 - Results of the community consultation on Henry Lawson Drive
The community consultation resulted in a total of 44 submissions. This included a submission from Canterbury-Bankstown City Council and 43 submissions from the community. Of these submissions, 12 per cent supported the proposal and four per cent objected to the proposal. The remaining 84 per cent of submissions offered no position on whether they supported or objected to the proposal.
View the community notification (PDF, 534Kb) on the results.
In February 2020, Transport for NSW called for public comment on Stage 1A of a plan to upgrade the 7.5 kilometre length of Henry Lawson Drive between the M5 South Western Motorway, Milperra, and Hume Highway, Lansdowne.
The upgrade would help ensure the road corridor can meet growing demand, with residential, commercial and industrial development expected to increase in the coming years.
There were around 80 submissions from the public and their comments, along with Transport for NSW responses, were published in the July 2020 consultation report (PDF, 861Kb).
Stage 1A upgrades will:
- provide two lanes in each direction on Henry Lawson Drive between Auld Avenue and Tower Road
- upgrade the intersection of Henry Lawson Drive, Milperra Road and Newbridge Road to provide:
- an additional southbound lane
- Longer dual right turns for motorists turning right from Milperra Road into Henry Lawson Drive
- an upgraded left turn for motorists turning left from Newbridge Road into Henry Lawson Drive
- longer dual right turn lanes for motorists turning right from Henry Lawson Drive into Newbridge Road
- upgrade the intersection of Henry Lawson Drive and Tower Road to include a dual right turn from Henry Lawson Drive onto Tower Road.
The project design is being finalised and construction is expected to start in early 2023.
We will continue to inform the community as the project progresses.
Questions and answers
Subscribe to project updates
We will send regular email updates to people interested in this project.
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our subscription list or phone 1800 684 490.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- March - April community notification (PDF, 164.15 KB)
Investigations will continue on site from March 2023.
- March community notification (PDF, 69.13 KB)
Night work will occur from Monday 20 March until Thursday 23 March outside of standard working hours, weather permitting.
- July 2022 community notification
Results of the community consultation on Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Stage 1A.
- August 2021 community notification
Henry Lawson Drive upgrade Stage 1A environmental assessments on public display.
February 2020 Have your say notification
Early concept design for Stage 1A of the proposed Henry Lawson Drive upgrade.
- May 2022 submissions report
Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Stage 1A.
- July 2020 Consultation report
Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade - Stage 1A.
Environmental impact statements
- November 2022 Addendum Review of Environmental Factors (PDF, 14.73 MB)
Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Stage 1A Addendum REF
- August 2021 Review of Environmental Factors - main report
Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Stage 1A Review of Environmental Factors.
July 2021 Environmental Impact Statement
Henry Lawson Drive Upgrade Stage 1A - Part 4 Environmental impact statement.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 684 490