Narellan Road upgrade
The Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight announced the opening of the $152 million Narellan Road upgrade between Camden Valley Way, Narellan and Blaxland Road, Campbelltown.
The Australian and NSW governments funded the upgrade of Narellan Road to reduce congestion and improve safety and travel times.
Road users are befitting from reduced congestion due to the upgrade between the M31 Hume Motorway and Camden Valley Way, and from the TAFE/Western Sydney University access road to Blaxland Road, Campbelltown.
Narellan Road is a key road transport corridor servicing south western Sydney. Traffic is predicted to grow in this area due to residential and commercial development in western Sydney.
The Narellan Road upgrade
The Narellan Road upgrade, about 6.8km, from Camden Valley Way, Narellan to Blaxland Road, Campbelltown.
Roads and Maritime Services delivered this major project in two stages:
- Stage 1: 1.6km between the M31 Hume Motorway, and the TAFE/Western Sydney University access road, Campbelltown. This stage of the project has been completed in early 2016.
- Stage 2: 5.2km from the M31 Hume Motorway to Camden Valley Way and from the TAFE/Western Sydney University access road to Blaxland Road, Campbelltown was officially opened to traffic in April 2018.
About this project
Work completed in 2012
Roads and Maritime Services has been undertaking work on sections of work on Narellan Road during 2012.
Please view a copy of the community letters for more detail on the project documents page.
Essential maintenance work was completed on a 700-metre long section of Narellan Road at Mount Annan in late August 2012.
The work, to be carried out in both directions between Hartley Road and Mount Annan Drive, involved:
- Repairing the existing road pavement
- Narrowing the median to allow the number of traffic lanes to be increased from two lanes to three lanes in each direction
- Line marking
- Installing a wire rope in the median to improve safety
View an aerial photograph showing where the maintenance work was completed.
The extra lanes to be provided by the maintenance project will complement the NSW Government's plan to upgrade Narellan Road from two traffic lanes to three traffic lanes between Mount Annan Drive and the Hume Highway.
Work to build a third lane, westbound on Narellan Road between the Hume Highway interchange and The Australian Botanic Gardens entrance at Mount Annan was opened on Saturday 8 September 2012 for motorists.
The speed limit was reduced from 80km/h to 60km/h westbound only on Narellan Road between Hume Highway interchange and The Australian Botanic Gardens intersection as a result.
The additional westbound lane provides a dedicated lane for vehicles exiting the south bound loop off-load ramp at the Hume Highway interchange.
This work improves road safety and traffic flow during the afternoon peak time for motorists exiting the Hume Highway.
Roads and Maritime has been working to remove the 40 km/h school zone on Narellan Road in conjunction with Mount Annan Christian College, Member for Camden Chris Patterson MP, Camden Council and Busways.
To facilitate the school zone removal, during the school holidays, RMS made changes to the Mount Annan Christian College local access road involving:
- Localised widening to the bend in Mount Annan Church Road to allow buses and cars to safely negotiate the bend
- Changes to the traffic signal timing to minimise delays for drivers exiting the school on to Narellan Road
- New traffic management arrangements to safely allow bus access to and from the school. This will give priority for vehicles entering the school. Vehicles exiting the school will be required to give way to vehicles entering.
Night work during early October to remove the school zone signs and line marking now allows motorists an improved travel times.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- July 2018 project notification
Final night work on Narellan Road between Narellan and Campbelltown from Monday 23 July 2018.
- June 2014 location map
Narellan Road upgrade - Camden Valley Way to Blaxland Road.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 633 332