Hill Road Upgrade
Transport for NSW is continuing planning of proposed upgrades to Hill Road at Sydney Olympic Park and Lidcombe to improve connectivity to Carter Street Precinct and Sydney Olympic Park.
Jul 2022 - Investigation work on Hill Road and Parramatta Road
Transport for NSW will carry out further investigation work on Parramatta Road and Hill Road between Sunday 24 July and Thursday8 September 2022.
Work will be carried out in these areas:
- Parramatta Road between Bombay Street and Frances Street, Lidcombe
- M4 Motorway eastbound and westbound on and off ramps and westbound on ramp at Hill Road, Sydney Olympic Park and Lidcombe
- Hill Road and Carter Street and John Ian Wing Parade intersections, Sydney Olympic Park.
The work will take up to 30 night shifts between Sunday 24 July and Thursday 8 September 2022, weather permitting.
Our work hours will be between 9pm and 5am from Sunday to Thursday.
We will be on site for up to five nights a week. We will not work on Saturdays.
For more information, you may view or download the July 2022 community notification (PDF, 302Kb).
Over the coming years, Hill Road will form an increasingly important road link in a growing and developing part of Sydney’s Central River City.
Proposed Hill Road upgrades will support future development growth in the Carter Street Precinct, which will become home to more than 6,200 new homes, as well as a new primary school and commercial and retail properties.
Upgrades will also improve connectivity to Wentworth Point, Newington, Lidcombe, Sydney Olympic Park and access to Parramatta Road and the M4 Motorway (eastbound) off ramp to Hill Road.
Start of construction is expected to commence in 2023 and take about 18 months to complete.
For further information on the Carter Street Precinct visit the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment’s website.
Key benefits include:
- improved road capacity to meet future traffic growth and connectivity to Carter Street Precinct
- improved connectivity to Sydney Olympic Park, especially during major events
- improved connectivity to the neighbouring residential suburbs of Lidcombe, Wentworth Point and Newington
- improved traffic flow and reduced traffic congestion at Hill Road and Parramatta Road and Hill Road and John Ian Wing Parade intersections
- improved road safety for all road users
- reduced travel times for all future road users
- enhanced active transport links and access to public transport.
Key features include:
- widening and upgrading the intersection at Parramatta Road, Hill Road and Bombay Street to provide:
- dedicated dual right turns from Hill Road into Parramatta Road (westbound)
- new left turn lane from Parramatta Road into Hill Road (northbound)
- additional through lane from Bombay Street into Hill Road (northbound)
- additional right turn lane from Bombay Street into Parramatta Road (eastbound)
- widening and signalising of the M4 Motorway (eastbound) off ramp into Hill Road to provide:
- additional left turn lane from M4 Motorway into Hill Road (northbound), creating dual left turns
- modifying the intersection at Hill Road and Carter Street to prohibit right turn into Carter Street from Hill Road
- adding a new fourth approach at the intersection of Hill Road and John Ian Wing Parade to provide:
- main access to Carter Street Precinct through the future Stockyard Boulevard (formerly referred to as Green Spine Road)
- new dual right lanes from Stockyard Boulevard into Hill Road (northbound)
- new through lane from Stockyard Boulevarde into John Ian Wing Parade (westbound)
- new left lane from Stockyard Boulevard into Hill Road (southbound)
- upgrading the intersection at Hill Road and John Ian Wing Parade to provide:
- new left lane from Hill Road into Stockyard Boulevard (eastbound)
- new through lane on Hill Road (southbound)
- additional right lane from Hill Road into Stockyard Boulevard, creating dual right lanes (eastbound)
- additional right lane from John Ian Wing Parade into Hill Road, creating dual right turns (southbound)
- building new shared pathways for pedestrians and cyclists on the western side of Hill Road between Parramatta Road and Carter Street and on the eastern side of Hill Road between Carter Street and Stockyard Boulevard
- widening footpaths at Hill Road and Parramatta Road and John Ian Wing Parade intersections
- modifying the kerb on the northwest corner of Birnie Avenue and Parramatta Road intersection to improve B-double and heavy vehicle access.
The proposal received formal approval in March 2022. Transport for NSW is now finalising the detailed design of the project. Start of construction is expected to commence in 2023 and take about 18 months to complete.
We will continue to keep the community informed as the project progresses by community notifications and updates to the project webpage.
For the latest information on the Hill Road upgrade project as it continues to progress, subscribe to project updates by sending an email to email@example.com.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Please note – documents published before November 2020 contain reference to a westbound off ramp from the M4 Western Motorway at Hill Road. This off ramp is no longer under consideration
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- July 2022 project notification
Hill Road upgrade at Sydney Olympic Park and Lidcombe.
- May 2022 project notification
Hill Road upgrade at Sydney Olympic Park and Lidcombe.
- March 2022 project notification
Close of consultation on ‘Have your Say’ on Review of Environmental Factors, 15 November to 12 December 2021.
- November 2021 project notification
Have your say on the review of environmental factors.
- April 2021 project notification
Investigation work on Hill Road, Parramatta Road and Birnie Avenue, Sydney Olympic Park and Lidcombe.
- December 2020 project notification
Have your say on the proposed upgrade of Hill Road, at Sydney Olympic Park and Lidcombe, December 2020.
- May 2017 project notification
- April 2017 project notification
Utility investigation work on Hill Road, Lidcombe from Monday 1 May 2017.
- February 2017 project notification
Investigation work on Hill Road, Lidcombe from Wednesday 22 February 2017.
- November 2016 project notification
Investigation work on Hill Road and Parramatta Road, Lidcombe from Wednesday 9 November 2016.
Review of environmental factors
- Review of environmental factors
- Appendix A
Hill Road concept design.
- Appendix B
Consideration of clause 228(2) factors and matters of national environmental significance and Commonwealth land.
- Appendix C
Statutory consultation checklists.
- Appendix D
Biodiversity assessment report.
- Appendix E
Flood impact assessment report.
- Appendix F
Phase 1 contamination assessment report.
- Appendix G
Traffic impact assessment report.
- Appendix H
Noise and vibration assessment report.
- Appendix I
Statement of Heritage assessment report.
- Appendix J
Landscape character and visual impact assessment report.
- Appendix K
Socio-economic assessment report.
- Appendix L
Neutral or beneficial effect on water quality assessment.
- March 2022 submissions report
Hill Road Upgrade.
Hill Road community consultation report
- November 2015
a new community and road upgrades for Lidcombe.
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 979 577 (during business hours)