Katoomba to Blackheath Upgrade
Transport for NSW (Transport) has investigated widening the Great Western Highway between Katoomba and Blackheath to two lanes in each direction.
The proposed Katoomba to Blackheath Upgrade is currently paused.
Between March 2019 and March 2023 Transport for NSW investigated an upgrade of the Great Western Highway between Katoomba and Blackheath.
Transport investigated a wide range of upgrade options and the upgrade option proposed was a surface upgrade of the highway between Katoomba and Blackheath.
In the September 2023 State Budget, the State Government reallocated funding commitments for the proposed upgrade of the Great Western Highway between Katoomba and Lithgow.
State funding will be redirected to roads across western Sydney and regional NSW to prioritise the road maintenance backlog across NSW.
In November 2023, following the release of the Federal Infrastructure Pipeline Review, the Federal Government confirmed that it would reallocate its funding commitment for the upgrade of the Great Western Highway between Katoomba and Blackheath and Little Hartley and Lithgow. Federal funding will be redirected to other infrastructure pipeline projects.
- Widening and upgrading the Great Western Highway between Rowan Lane in Katoomba and Bellevue Crescent in Medlow Bath to provide two lanes in each direction
- Widening and upgrading the Great Western Highway between Medlow Bath to the east of Tennyson Road in Blackheath to provide two lanes in each direction
- New twin bridges from Pulpit Hill near Explorers Road
- Upgraded intersections at Nellies Glen Road, Explorers Road and Foy Avenue
- Improved visitor parking at the Pulpit Hill heritage interpretation area
- Two new truck stopping areas west of Explorers Road and west of Medlow Bath
- Upgrades and extensions of the Great Blue Mountains Trail active transport connection
- New bus stops at Nellies Glen Road, Explorers Road and Foy Avenue.
Katoomba to Blackheath Upgrade Review of Environmental Factors (REF) consultation May - June 2022
The REF and concept design for the Katoomba to Blackheath Upgrade was available for community consultation from 15 May 2022 to 19 June 2022. The engagement included six online and face to face community information sessions.
Project information, the full REF and the Submissions Report can be found on the Katoomba to Blackheath see the Reports section.
The REF was approved, however the project is currently paused awaiting confirmation of funding from both the State and Australian governments.
Katoomba to Lithgow strategic design consultation November - December 2019
The strategic design for the upgrade of the Great Western Highway from Katoomba to Lithgow was available for community consultation from 07 November to 16 December 2019. The engagement included nine community information sessions, two pop up displays and one public meeting.
You can view or download the community consultation summary report.
- Katoomba to Blackheath (East section) and Medlow Bath Community Update
October 2022 Katoomba to Blackheath (East section) and Medlow Bath Community Update.
- Katoomba to Blackheath Upgrade - East Community Update
May 2022 Katoomba to Blackheath Upgrade - East Community Update.
- Medlow Bath and East REFs to be determined together
March 2022 Medlow Bath and East REFs to be determined together.
- Explorers tree community update
March 2020 Explorers tree community update.
- Community consultation report community update
May 2020 Community consultation report community update.
- Katoomba to Lithgow community update
February 2020 Katoomba to Lithgow community update.
- Katoomba to Lithgow strategic consultation community update
November 2019 Katoomba to Lithgow strategic consultation community update.
- October 2022 - Katoomba to to Blackheath (East Section) Review of Environmental Factors Submissions Report
- October 2022 - Katoomba to Blackheath (East Section) Review of Environmental Factors Consultation Summary Report (PDF, 33.33 MB)
- April 2022 - Katoomba to Blackheath (East Section) Review of Environmental Factors Report (PDF, 43.35 MB)
- May 2020 - Community Consultation Summary Report