Mariyung Fleet: Stations and Signalling Modifications
Modifications and upgrades are needed to existing rail infrastructure at various locations across the electrified network to accommodate the New Intercity Fleet. Work includes:
- Platform extensions
- Modifications to infrastructure within the rail corridor, including the installation and relocation of signalling and overhead wiring structures
- Installation of balises, car markers, and trackside car markers
- Installation of CCTV, PA, lighting and station furniture, where required.
Enabling work to accommodate the Mariyung Fleet is progressing across the electrified network.
- Platform extension work is complete at Adamstown, Central, Gosford, Emu Plains, Hamilton, Hurstville, Katoomba, Lithgow, Penrith, Wyong and Hornsby stations
The final platform extension work on the Blue Mountains Line is now complete, with two platforms at Emu Plains Station extended by 22 metres each. New lighting, CCTV and PA speakers have also been installed.
The video below shows the Emu Plains Station platform extension work.
Car marker installation
- Car markers and trackside car markers have been installed on the Central Coast and Newcastle, Blue Mountains and South Coast and Illawarra lines.
This work included spray-painting parts of the station platforms and minor work to install new or modify existing car markers on the fence.
New trackside car markers were also installed at various locations, and where necessary, modifications were made to existing car markers off the platforms.
As more platforms are extended on the South Coast and Illawarra Line, the remaining car marker and trackside car marker installations will be completed as part of the More Trains, More Services project. Nearby residents and stakeholders will be notified prior to any major work.
- Balise installation and programming is now complete on the Central Coast and Newcastle, Blue Mountains and South Coast and Illawarra lines.
This involved attaching electronic components to the tracks within the platform area to enhance train safety through the introduction of Automatic Selective Door Operation (ASDO) technology.
As more platforms are extended on the South Coast and Illawarra Line, the remaining balise installation and programming will be completed as part of the More Trains, More Services project,
- Signalling modifications have has been completed at 17 locations.
- Work is underway at Central and Penrith stations.
Trackside car markers
- Trackside car markers have been installed at 15 locations.
- Work is underway at Bellambi and Hurstville stations on the South Coast and Illawarra Line, and at Katoomba and Valley Heights stations on the Blue Mountains Line.
The majority of work will take place during scheduled Sydney Trains trackwork weekends.
The remaining car marker and trackside car marker installations on the South Coast and Illawarra Line will be completed as part of the More Trains, More Services project, once the required platforms are extended.
Local communities will be informed prior to any major work taking place.
Revised construction hours due to COVID-19
Under rules introduced by the NSW Government to support the construction industry during the COVID-19 pandemic, some construction sites now operate on weekends and public holidays.
Under the new Order, standard construction hours are 7am to 6pm every day, including public holidays.
The Environmental Planning and Assessment (COVID-19 Development – Construction Work Days) Order 2020 is in place until 31 March 2022.
The Order enables workers to socially distance by allowing construction work to be spread across more days of the week, while also keeping construction projects progressing.
- Mariyung Fleet Stations and Signalling Modifications - Penrith Station notification - September 2021 (PDF, 479.54 KB)
- Mariyung Fleet Stations and Signalling Modifications - Lithgow Station - community notification - August 2021 (PDF, 838.39 KB)
Please contact us if you could like to join the project mailing list.
Call 1800 684 490
For urgent enquires or complaints regarding construction activities, please call 24 hours 1800 775 465