The Northern Road upgrade
The Australian and NSW governments have upgraded The Northern Road as part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan (WSIP), a $4.1 billion road investment program.
Transport has completed an upgrade of The Northern Road between The Old Northern Road, Narellan and Jamison Road, South Penrith, to meet the needs of future business and population growth in the local area and across broader western Sydney.
Project completion notifications and further information can be found on the individual webpages above.
The Northern Road project stages
The Northern Road upgrade was delivered in sections to minimise the impacts on our customer during construction and to deliver benefits earlier through a staged approach. The stages were:
- Stage 1 Between The Old Northern Road, Narellan and Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park
- Stage 2Between Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park and Mersey Road
- Stage 3 Between Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park and Jamison Road, South Penrith
- Stage 4 Between Mersey Road, Bringelly and Eaton Road, Luddenham
- Stage 5 Between Littlefields Road, Luddenham and Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park
- Stage 6 Between Eaton Road, Luddenham and Littlefields Road, Luddenham
- An upgrade from a generally two lane to a four lane divided road with central median
- A wide central median will allow for future widening to six lanes, if required in the future
- A speed limit of 80km/h
- Thirteen signalised intersections, five of them are new intersections
- Duplication of bridges over Narellan Creek and Thompsons Creek
- A three metre wide off-road shared pedestrian/cyclist path
- Designated turning lanes, and bicycle and pedestrian crossing provisions at traffic lights
- Bus priority lanes at traffic lights and indented bus bays
- Temporary U-turn facilities at some future precinct link roads
- Existing properties along The Northern Road would continue to have left in/left out access, until precinct development takes place.
- Increased capacity to cater for future population growth in the area
- Improved safety for motorists by:
- New intersections with traffic lights for access to precincts
- A central median that separates opposing traffic flows
- Turning lanes at intersections
- Improved safety for cyclists through an off-road shared path
- Improved travel times when future development occurs
- Access to future South West Growth Centre precincts along The Northern Road
- Improved access and travel times for road freight in Sydney’s south west.
Check out our video portal to find out more about the road projects that are transforming Western Sydney.
Employment and Training Hub
Want to work on one of Australia's biggest road infrastructure projects?. Check out our new The Northern Road Employment and Training Hub today.
For further information about this project:
Phone: 1800 703 457 (toll free)
Mail: PO Box 973 Parramatta CBD NSW 2124.