The Northern Road and Bringelly Road upgrades - The Northern Road upgrade
The Australian and NSW governments have upgraded The Northern Road as part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan (WSIP), a $4.1 billion road investment program.
Dec 2020 - The Northern Road and Bringelly Road opening to traffic
Transport for NSW has now completed the second stage of The Northern Road upgrade between Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park and Mersey Road, Luddenham as well as the second stage of the Bringelly Road upgrade between King Street, Rossmore and The Northern Road, Bringelly.
We will open the roads in stages to the permanent lane configuration over three days from Monday 14 December 2020, weather permitting.
Please view or download the December 2020 community notification (PDF, 725Kb) for more information.
These combined upgrades have delivered new and improved roads to support integrated transport in the region and capitalise on the economic benefits from the Western Sydney Airport at Badgerys Creek. This has improved safety, increased road capacity and reduced congestion and travel times.
The Northern Road upgrade covers about 11.3 kilometres between Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park and Mersey Road, Bringelly, including The Northern Road and Bringelly Road intersection which will be built as an interchange.
The second stage of the Bringelly Road upgrade covers about 4.3 kilometres between King Street, Rossmore and The Northern Road, Bringelly.
The key benefits of the project are:
- Increased capacity to cater for future population growth in the area
- Improved safety for motorists by:
- building new intersections with traffic lights to access precincts
- building a central median to separate opposing traffic flows
- building turning lanes at intersections
- Improved safety for cyclists and pedestrians through an off-road shared path
- Improved travel times and capacity to accommodate future development needs
- Access to future South West Priority Growth Area along The Northern Road
- Improved access and travel times for road freight in Sydney’s south west.
The Northern Road key features
- Two lanes in each direction with a four metre wide shoulder and wide central median allowing for widening to six lanes, when required
- A grade separated interchange (underpass) at Bringelly Road to the east of Bringelly Village shops and the existing intersection with Bringelly Road/Greendale Road
- A speed limit of 80km/h
- A three metre wide shared pedestrian/cyclist path on the eastern side
- Designated turning lanes and bicycle and pedestrian crossing provisions at traffic lights
- Bus priority lanes at traffic lights and indented bus bays
- Temporary U-turn facilities at some future precinct link roads
- Nine intersections to be upgraded with new traffic lights
- Existing bridge over Thompson Creek replaced for southbound traffic and a new bridge for northbound traffic.
Bringelly Road key features
- Two lanes in each direction with a central median, allowing for widening to six lanes, when required
- A speed limit of 80 km/h
- A three metre wide off road shared pedestrian and cyclist path with crossings at traffic lights to improve safety
- Designated turning lanes at traffic lights along with bus priority and indented bus bays on both sides of Bringelly Road
- New three way intersection at Kelvin Park Drive with traffic lights
- New four way intersection at Jersey Road with traffic lights and a temporary U-turn facility
- New bridges over South Creek
- New four way intersection at Masterfield Street and at North Avenue with traffic lights
- Left in/left out intersection at Church Street, Allenby Road and Glen Allen Road.
- Contractor: Lendlease
- Start date of major construction: mid-2017
- Expected completion date: 2020
- The Northern Road project value (six sections): $1.6 billion
- Bringelly Road project value (two stages): $509 million
- Funding: Australian and NSW governments.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- July 2017 community update
The Northern Road and Bringelly Road Upgrades.
- December 2020 project notification
The Northern Road and Bringelly Road upgrade stage 2 – project nearing completion.
- July 2020 project notification
Opening of the Bringelly Road interchange and new section of The Northern Road between Belmore Road and Thames Road, Bringelly from Thursday 16 July 2020.
June 2020 project notification
Temporary full weekend road closure and out of hours work on Bringelly Road between The Northern Road, Bringelly and King Street Rossmore from Friday 3 July.
July 2019 project notification
Temporary road closure and out of hours workon Bringelly Road, Bringelly from Friday 12 July 2019.
February 2019 project notification
Night work at the intersection of The Northern Road and Greendale Road, Bringelly from Monday 25 February 2019.
- July 2019
Work drives ahead on The Northern Road upgrade at Bringelly
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 703 457