New Intercity Fleet Springwood to Lithgow Rail Corridor Modifications
Modifications are needed along the rail corridor from west of Springwood Station to Lithgow Station, including minor modifications to the Ten Tunnels Deviation (between Newnes Junction Station and Zig Zag Station), to accommodate the new and existing trains and enable the new trains to service customers all the way to Lithgow. Work includes:
- Extending platforms at Katoomba, Mount Victoria and Lithgow Stations
- Modifications to station platform edges (known as platform coping), and the existing platform canopy
- Re-positioning of rail tracks along some of the rail corridor, predominantly at the stations
- Signalling work and adjustments to the overhead wiring system
- Minor modifications will be made to sections of the lining in eight of the tunnels. These will consist of “notching” and “underpinning” works as well as the installation of rock bolts.
A contract has been awarded to the Continuum Alliance, an alliance between Transport for NSW, CPB Contractors and Lendlease, for the detailed design and construction of the project.
Construction started in February 2019.
Throughout June, we will working at various locations on the Blue Mountains Line during standard construction hours to carry out completion work.
The project is expected to be complete by mid-2020.
Katoomba mural restored
A famous mural at Katoomba Station depicting the Three Sisters was restored in May 2020 as part of the New Intercity Fleet Springwood to Lithgow Rail Corridor Modifications project.
The mural was originally painted by artist Vernon Treweeke in 1992, however years of exposure to the elements in the rail corridor had caused it to wear away.
As part of work to upgrade parts of the Blue Mountains Line in preparation for the arrival of the New Intercity Fleet, a local Blue Mountains artist was commissioned to restore Vernon Treweeke’s work.
Revised construction hours due to COVID-19
Under new rules introduced by the NSW Government to support the construction industry during the COVID-19 situation, some construction sites can now operate on weekends and public holidays.
Under the new Order, standard construction hours are now 7am to 6pm every day, including public holidays.
The Environmental Planning and Assessment (COVID-19 Development – Construction Work Days) Order 2020 will continue for up to six months and all changes to the Order will be communicated accordingly. It enables workers to abide by social distancing rules while keeping construction projects progressing by allowing building work to be spread across more days of the week.
- Springwood to Lithgow Rail Corridor Modifications Project Determination Report (PDF, 9.03 MB)
- Springwood to Lithgow Rail Corridor Modifications Review of Environmental Factors Volume 1 (PDF, 5.63 MB)
- Springwood to Lithgow Rail Corridor Modifications Review of Environmental Factors Volume 2 (PDF, 12.97 MB)
- Lithgow Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 5.47 MB)
- Katoomba Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 11.11 MB)
- Blackheath Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 2.39 MB)
- Medlow Bath Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Eskbank Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 5.48 MB)
- Lawson Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 3.3 MB)
- Combined heritage assessment for Faulconbridge, Linden, Woodford Hazelbrook, Bullaburra, Wentworth Falls, Leura, Bell, and Newnes Junction stations (PDF, 4.02 MB)
- Noise and Vibration Impact Assessment (PDF, 66.87 MB)
- Traffic, Transport and Access Impact Assessment (PDF, 2.5 MB)
- Ten Tunnels Deviation Modifications Determination Report (PDF, 1.27 MB)
- Ten Tunnels Deviation Modifications Review of Environmental Factors (REF) (PDF, 7.18 MB)
- Ten Tunnels Deviation Modifications Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 24.41 MB)
- Ten Tunnels Deviation Modifications Noise and Vibration Impact Assessment (PDF, 5.52 MB)
Please contact us if you could like to join the project mailing list.
Call 1800 684 490
For urgent enquires or complaints regarding construction activities, please call 24 hours 1800 775 465