New Intercity Fleet Springwood to Lithgow Rail Corridor Modifications
Modifications are needed along the rail corridor from west of Springwood Station to Lithgow Station, including minor modifications to the Ten Tunnels Deviation (between Newnes Junction Station and Zig Zag Station), to accommodate the new and existing trains and enable the new trains to service customers all the way to Lithgow.
- Extending platforms at Katoomba, Mount Victoria and Lithgow Stations
- Modifications to station platform edges (known as platform coping), and the existing platform canopy
- Re-positioning of rail tracks along some of the rail corridor, predominantly at the stations
- Signalling work and adjustments to the overhead wiring system
- Minor modifications will be made to sections of the lining in eight of the tunnels. These will consist of “notching” and “underpinning” works as well as the installation of rock bolts.
A contract has been awarded to the Continuum Alliance, an alliance between Transport for NSW, CPB Contractors and Lendlease, for the detailed design and construction of the project.
Construction started in February 2019.
Temporary impacts to the Blue Mountains Line
Due to infrastructure damage caused by the bushfires, there are currently partial closures on sections on the Blue Mountains Line, with buses replacing trains between Mount Victoria, Lithgow and Bathurst.
Please contact Transport Info on 131 500 or visit transportnsw.info for more information about replacement transport services.
Some work planned for the Springwood to Lithgow Rail Corridor Modifications Project in December was postponed due to the bushfires.
As a result of the temporary closure of the Blue Mountains Line, this work is being rescheduled to take place as soon as possible, both during standard construction hours and during a planned possession in February and March.
We will be working in the Ten Tunnels Deviation from Monday 20 January to carry out the work activities listed above.
We will also be working during standard construction hours at Katoomba and Linden Stations from Monday 10 February 2020 to carry out cabling and services work.
The project is still expected to be complete by mid-2020.
The construction activities to be completed in the Ten Tunnels Deviation will have minimal noise or environmental impacts.
Every effort will be made to minimise any construction impacts to the local community. We will keep the community and customers informed prior to any activities taking place.
- Ten Tunnels Deviation – community notification – January 2020 (PDF, 441.12 KB)
- Bell Station - community notification - January 2020 (PDF, 355.46 KB)
- Springwood to Lithgow Rail Corridor Modifications Project Determination Report (PDF, 9.03 MB)
- Springwood to Lithgow Rail Corridor Modifications Review of Environmental Factors Volume 1 (PDF, 5.63 MB)
- Springwood to Lithgow Rail Corridor Modifications Review of Environmental Factors Volume 2 (PDF, 12.97 MB)
- Lithgow Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 5.47 MB)
- Katoomba Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 11.11 MB)
- Blackheath Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 2.39 MB)
- Medlow Bath Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Eskbank Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 5.48 MB)
- Lawson Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 3.3 MB)
- Combined heritage assessment for Faulconbridge, Linden, Woodford Hazelbrook, Bullaburra, Wentworth Falls, Leura, Bell, and Newnes Junction stations (PDF, 4.02 MB)
- Noise and Vibration Impact Assessment (PDF, 66.87 MB)
- Traffic, Transport and Access Impact Assessment (PDF, 2.5 MB)
- Ten Tunnels Deviation Modifications Determination Report (PDF, 1.27 MB)
- Ten Tunnels Deviation Modifications Review of Environmental Factors (REF) (PDF, 7.18 MB)
- Ten Tunnels Deviation Modifications Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 24.41 MB)
- Ten Tunnels Deviation Modifications Noise and Vibration Impact Assessment (PDF, 5.52 MB)
Please contact us if you could like to join the project mailing list.
Call 1800 684 490
For urgent enquires or complaints regarding construction activities, please call 24 hours 1800 775 465