New Intercity Fleet Springwood to Lithgow Rail Corridor Modifications
Modifications are now complete along the rail corridor from west of Springwood Station to Lithgow Station, including minor modifications to the Ten Tunnels Deviation (between Newnes Junction Station and Zig Zag Station), to accommodate the new fleet and enable the new trains to service customers all the way to Lithgow. Work included:
- Extending platforms at Katoomba, Mount Victoria and Lithgow Stations
- Modifications to station platform edges (known as platform coping), and the existing platform canopy
- Re-positioning of rail tracks along some of the rail corridor, predominantly at the stations
- Signalling work and adjustments to the overhead wiring system
- Minor modifications to sections of the lining in eight of the tunnels, consisting of “notching” and “underpinning” works as well as the installation of rock bolts.
A contract was awarded to the Continuum Alliance, an alliance between Transport for NSW, CPB Contractors and Lendlease, for the detailed design and construction of the project.
Construction started in February 2019 and was completed in July 2020.
Modifications are now complete at Bell, Blackheath, Bullaburra, Faulconbridge, Hazelbrook, Katoomba, Lawson, Leura, Linden, Medlow Bath, Newnes Junction, Ten Tunnels Deviation, Wentworth Falls and Woodford.
For a summary of all work completed, please see our Springwood to Lithgow Rail Corridor Modifications project notification (PDF, 9.47 MB) and project video below.
Following the first test run to Katoomba Station on the Blue Mountains Line earlier this year, a New Intercity Fleet train has travelled from Sydney to Lithgow, marking the first time a new electric train has travelled to the station since the last of the V-Sets was introduced 30 years ago.
Over the next few months you’ll see more of these trains testing on the network, as we move towards the first passenger services later this year. The new fleet will be introduced progressively starting with the Central Coast and Newcastle Line, followed by the Blue Mountains and the South Coast lines.
Katoomba mural restored
A famous mural at Katoomba Station depicting the Three Sisters was restored in May 2020 as part of the New Intercity Fleet Springwood to Lithgow Rail Corridor Modifications project.
The mural was originally painted by artist Vernon Treweeke in 1992, however years of exposure to the elements in the rail corridor had caused it to wear away.
As part of work to upgrade parts of the Blue Mountains Line in preparation for the arrival of the New Intercity Fleet, a local Blue Mountains artist was commissioned to restore Vernon Treweeke’s work.
- Springwood to Lithgow Rail Corridor Modifications Project Determination Report (PDF, 9.03 MB)
- Springwood to Lithgow Rail Corridor Modifications Review of Environmental Factors Volume 1 (PDF, 5.63 MB)
- Springwood to Lithgow Rail Corridor Modifications Review of Environmental Factors Volume 2 (PDF, 12.97 MB)
- Lithgow Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 5.47 MB)
- Katoomba Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 11.11 MB)
- Blackheath Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 2.39 MB)
- Medlow Bath Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Eskbank Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 5.48 MB)
- Lawson Station Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 3.3 MB)
- Combined heritage assessment for Faulconbridge, Linden, Woodford Hazelbrook, Bullaburra, Wentworth Falls, Leura, Bell, and Newnes Junction stations (PDF, 4.02 MB)
- Noise and Vibration Impact Assessment (PDF, 66.87 MB)
- Traffic, Transport and Access Impact Assessment (PDF, 2.5 MB)
- Ten Tunnels Deviation Modifications Determination Report (PDF, 1.27 MB)
- Ten Tunnels Deviation Modifications Review of Environmental Factors (REF) (PDF, 7.18 MB)
- Ten Tunnels Deviation Modifications Statement of Heritage Impact (PDF, 24.41 MB)
- Ten Tunnels Deviation Modifications Noise and Vibration Impact Assessment (PDF, 5.52 MB)
Please contact us if you could like to join the project mailing list.
Call 1800 684 490
For urgent enquires or complaints regarding construction activities, please call 24 hours 1800 775 465