West Region Projects
The Western Region is a geographically vast and diverse region with a broad spectrum of population density and transport needs, with our boundaries stretching from Boggabilla in the north to West Wyalong in the south, as far west as Broken Hill and east to Springwood in the Blue Mountains. West currently accounts for 60% of NSW, and is a hive of activity, achieving significant progress in a number of major projects across the region.
From duplicating the highway in our densely populated regions of the Blue Mountains and Bathurst, to connecting the states most remote town of Tibooburra which is 330 km from the nearest town, with the sealing of the Silver City Highway. Our projects are vast and have been planned with future needs of the population in mind.
Current major projects in Western Region
- $2.5 billion - Great Western Highway upgrade Katoomba to Lithgow
- $500 million - Newell Highway upgrade (includes: Newell Highway Program Alliance, Parkes Bypass and Coonabarabran Bypass)
- $276 million - Building a Better Dubbo projects
- $195 million - Cobb and Silver City Highway upgrade
- $50 million - Mitchell Highway Bathurst to Orange
- $45 million - Great Western Highway upgrade Kelso to Raglan
- $34.2 million - Pooncarie Road
- $26.4 million - Kamilaroi Highway safety upgrade Baan Baa to Turrawan
View or download a larger version of the map (JPG, 1.06Mb).
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG).
If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
- Essential maintenance on Oxley Highway near Gilgandra from Monday 19 June (PDF, 225.96 KB)
- Night works on Erskine Street in Dubbo from Tuesday 13 June (PDF, 288.09 KB)
- Flood repair on Oxley Highway near Warren from Thursday 1 June (PDF, 150.03 KB)
- Essential pavement work on Castlereagh Highway from Monday 29 May (PDF, 95.03 KB)
- Changed traffic conditions on Camp Street, Bridge Street and Flint Street in Forbes from Monday 8 May (PDF, 588.72 KB)
- Changed traffic conditions on the Castlereagh Highway and Guntawang Road from 20 March 2023 (PDF, 293.72 KB).
- Changed traffic conditions on Duckmaloi Road from 20 March 2023 (PDF, 266.39 KB)
- Night works on the Great Western Highway between Walang and Yetholme from 5 March 2023 (PDF, 293.82 KB)
- 8 February 2023 - Tricky Castlereagh Highway landslip leads to significant safety upgrade
- 1 April 2022 - Upgrade to Barrier Highway west of Cobar Road
- 7 February 2022 - Broken Hill traffic choke point transformed after major upgrade
- 7 February 2022 - Broken Hill powers up new electric vehicle charger
- 6 August 2021 - Crews tripled to fix Central West road damage
- 11 May 2021 - Community invited to learn more about the new Crossley bridge
For further information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 167 499