Waitara Station Upgrade
The NSW Government is improving accessibility at Waitara Station.
This upgrade will be delivered as part of the Transport Access Program, an initiative to provide a better experience for public transport customers by delivering modern, safe and accessible infrastructure.
As part of the program, the Waitara Station Upgrade will provide a station precinct that is accessible to those with a disability, limited mobility, carers/parents with prams and customers with luggage.
The project is expected to be completed in 2023*.
- New station entrances at the northern end of the platform from the Commuter Car Park of Waitara Avenue, and from the eastern entrance of Alexandria Parade.
- A new pedestrian underpass at the northern end of the platform.
- Two new lifts at the new northern station entrance, one from underpass entry near the car park and one to the station platform.
- New station entrance on Alexandria Parade.
- New staircases from the new underpass to the car park and to the platform.
- Two new boarding assistance zones on the platform.
- New canopy coverage over the platform lift and stairs.
- Regrading the platform.
- New family accessible and ambulant toilets within the station building.
- A new accessible footpath connecting the new underpass to the new pedestrian crossing on Alexandria Parade.
- A new bike rack on Alexandria Parade.
- Four new accessible parking spaces.
- A formalised kiss and ride zone.
- Additional CCTV and lighting.
The existing underpass will be retained.
Construction work is underway at the station. Please see the latest community notification for further information.
Construction is expected to take around 18 months to complete.
We are currently investigating further opportunities to improve accessibility on the western side of the station, improve traffic flow in the commuter car park, and offset parking that will be permanently removed as a result of this proposal.
We will investigate these options during detailed design and we will keep the community informed as the design progresses. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
In late 2020, we invited the community to have their say on the concept design at Waitara Station.
Due to feedback received during this time and after further design investigations, we changed the concept design to create a new accessible station entry at the northern end of the platform.
In November 2021, the community had their say on the new concept design. Overall of the community supported the new concept design. Additionally, some requests included the new lifts to be installed in the exiting southern entrance, improvements to pedestrian movement and accessible pathway via the commuter car park.
In April 2022 the community were invited to have their say on the proposal’s Review of Environmental Factors , which was on public display for two weeks. Key feedback topics were:
- support for improving accessibility at Waitara Station
- requests to reconsider the location of the pedestrian crossing on Alexandria Parade
- requests to provide a lift in the existing underpass (at the southern end of the station)
- requests for additional landscaping to be provided around Waitara Station.
Planning approval was granted in May 2022.
Keep in touch
If you would like to provide feedback, ask a question about the proposed upgrade or receive project updates please contact us on 1800 684 490 or email email@example.com.
Please visit the Waitara Station webpage for information on station facilities and transport services.
*Estimated project completion times are subject to change.