More Trains, More Services
The More Trains, More Services program will simplify and modernise the rail network creating high capacity, turn up and go services for many customers. It means customers can expect more frequent train services, with less wait times, less crowding on a simpler and more reliable network.
More than $5.3 billion is being invested in the program, which has already delivered 24 new Waratah Series 2 trains and more than 1700 additional weekly services since 2017.
- More services for the T8 Airport Line, including an 80 per cent increase at Airport stations
- A 30 per cent increase in peak services on the T4 Illawarra Line, with extra services from Cronulla, Waterfall and Hurstville
- More services on the T2 Inner West Line, with an extra four services in the peak
- More services on the South Coast Line, meaning a service every 15 minutes in the peak and every 30 minutes in the off peak between Wollongong and the Sydney CBD
- New trains are also being delivered as part of the program including 42 additional New Intercity Fleet carriages and 17 extra Waratah Series 2 trains.
For more information on the service improvements to come, read the downloadable fact sheet (PDF, 130.15 KB).
Infrastructure improvements are being made across the network. These include modifications to track, signalling, stabling facilities and station platforms.
See below for more information about infrastructure improvements being delivered in your area.
- Sydney Terminal Area Reconfiguration Project
- Mascot Substation Project
- Mascot Station Access Upgrade Project
- Wolli Creek Substation and T8 Line Power Supply Upgrade
- Arncliffe Station Platform Canopy Extension
- Hurstville Crossover Project
- Mortdale Maintenance Centre Upgrade
- Waterfall Stabling Yard and Platform Extension Project
- Wollongong Stabling Yard and Platform Extension Project
- South Coast Stations Platform Extension Project
Keep in touch
For more information about these projects contact the project team on 1800 684 490 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on the service improvements to come, download the fact sheet (PDF, 130.15 KB) on the next stages of the More Trains, More Services program.
More seats on South Coast trains
More Trains, More Services will deliver 42 additional carriages to the New Intercity Fleet. The majority will be sent to the South Coast, which will see eight car trains increased to 10 car trains for peak hour services.
As part of future stages of the program South Coast customers will benefit from an extra 13,000 seats across the busiest times of the week.
For more information on the New Intercity Fleet, visit: https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projects/current-projects/new-intercity-fleet
More new trains from 2020
As part of the next stage of the More Trains, More Services program, the NSW Government will fast track an extra 17 new Waratah Series 2 trains. These popular, reliable and comfortable services will begin rolling onto tracks from late 2020.
This is in addition to the 24 new Waratah Series 2 trains that are being introduced as part of the first stage of the More Trains, More Services program. The new trains feature:
- Double deck cars
- Air-conditioning with temperature control
- High definition customer information screens to provide journey and safety information
- Internal and external CCTV and customer help points
- Improved interior LED lighting
- Priority seating, wheelchair spaces and hearing aid loops.
For more information on Waratah Series 2 trains, visit: https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projects/current-projects/sydney-growth-trains
What we have delivered
The first stage of the program focused on boosting capacity through extra services, better infrastructure and new trains, with more than 1700 extra weekly services, including more express trains for Western and South West Sydney.
We have upgraded rail infrastructure to allow our complex network to operate at an even greater capacity, including better signalling systems, power supply upgrades and train station improvements.
The November 2017 timetable delivered a range of benefits for suburban customers, on the targeted T1 Western, T2 Inner West & Leppington, T3 Bankstown, T5 Cumberland and T8 Airport & South Lines.
The next stages of More Trains, More Services will focus on delivering improvements across our busiest lines. This includes T2 Inner West, T4 Illawarra, T8 Airport & South and the South Coast lines. These improvements will be delivered from late 2022.
For more information about the More Trains, More Services program email email@example.com