Redfern Station Upgrade - New Southern Concourse
The NSW Government is improving accessibility at Redfern Station as part of the Transport Access Program. The project aims to provide a station precinct that is accessible to those with a disability, limited mobility, parents/carers with prams and customers with luggage. Upgrading Redfern Station will make it easier for all customers to access, as well as improving connections between the station and key destinations in the area. The upgrade includes a new concourse at the southern end of the station.
- easy access to platforms 1 to 10 with six new stairs and lifts
- better connectivity with the surrounding areas including key destinations such as South Eveleigh (formerly known as Australian Technology Park), Carriageworks and education centres
Upgrading Redfern Station is the first step in renewing the Redfern and North Eveleigh precinct.
Following analysis of consultation feedback and other design constraints, Transport for NSW has selected a design that connects Marian Street with Little Eveleigh Street as the option that best meets the project’s objectives. Information about the feedback received is available in a Consultation Report (PDF, 20.9 MB).
A State Significant Infrastructure Scoping Report for the project was lodged in November 2019. The Department of Planning, Industry and Environment (DPIE) has issued Secretary’s Environmental Assessment Requirements (SEARs) for the project. Transport for NSW is currently preparing the Environmental Impact Statement. For more information, please visit the Major Projects Planning Portal.
In March 2020, investigation activities including topographic surveys, service identification and traffic surveys will be carried out in Redfern Station and on adjacent local streets. These investigations will include:
- From 7am to 6pm Monday 2 March to Friday 6 March 2020, service investigations and 3D topographic surveys of roads, pavements and Sydney Trains land adjacent to Redfern Station
- From Wednesday 4 March to Sunday 9 March 2020, traffic surveys of Little Eveleigh, Marian, Ivy and Lawson Streets using survey cameras. Cameras will be positioned so that they do not face residential properties
- From 8pm to 6am Monday 9 March to Friday 13 March 2020, service investigations and 3D topographic surveys of Redfern Station platforms.
Every effort will be taken to complete these activities within the timeframes shown above. However, in case of external factors such as inclement weather, these activities may extend until Friday 27 March.
For more information about the investigation activities, please view the community notification. (PDF, 2.52 MB)
During 2020, Transport for NSW will continue to work with City of Sydney and the local community on the detailed design of the new southern concourse and surrounding streets. The project Community and Stakeholder Engagement Plan (PDF, 4.47 MB) includes information about how we are engaging with our community, customers and stakeholders during this time.
Transport for NSW is preparing an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS), which will be on public display in 2020, providing a further opportunity for station customers and the community to have their say on the project.
Platforms 11 and 12
We appreciate that station users want access to be improved to the underground Platforms 11 and 12. Transport for NSW intends to develop the land to the east of Redfern Station, above the underground T4 Eastern Suburbs and Illawarra Lines. This would include improved access to Platforms 11 and 12, which would make Redfern Station fully accessible.
Keep in touch
If you would like to receive project updates please contact us on 1800 684 490 or email email@example.com.